PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to setup Audacity to record from line-in

keithgroben
March 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Hello everyone. I am trying to get Audacity to record from a line in. Seems like it should be a fairly easy setup. I discovered that Audacity needs PulseAudio. So I installed that, and don't know how to configure it.

I set the sound preferences >> Input to line in. I am using a desktop that has a line-in on the front and back, so I'm not sure which it will pick up, so I have been testing both. :???:

I'm sort of stuck and am hoping that I can get this figured out.

shantiq
March 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
ok there keith the line-in is mute by default which is baffling but that is the way it is

i am doing this with alsa here which works fine too but i am sure pulse will work too (use pavucontrol if you want to stay with pulse instead of alsa-mixer but i suggest try with alsa first)

so first thing is to enable the line-in

to do this we can use kpoole advice (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10515086&postcount=24)

to install open terminal
sudo apt-get gnome alsa-mixer or install it through synaptic or ubuntu software centre

then find it under applications/sound and video

unclick the relevant ones for you depending on your setup

=================================================

then go to audacity

and click on view/toolbars/devices

click on that then pick your device you want as a line-in

or you can go to edit/ preferences/devices as another route

you will then see a drop-down box on your audacity see attached picture pick mix0

PS: Also make sure when you go to system/ preferences/sound you have chosen the right input for the line -in you want in this case

you should be good to go:KS

shinobi9
December 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
So simple I never though of checking, makes no sense... Also using alsa, been driving me crazy... lol

Thank You!!!

ok there keith the line-in is mute by default which is baffling but that is the way it is

i am doing this with alsa here which works fine too but i am sure pulse will work too (use pavucontrol if you want to stay with pulse instead of alsa-mixer but i suggest try with alsa first)

so first thing is to enable the line-in

to do this we can use kpoole advice (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10515086&postcount=24)

to install open terminal
sudo apt-get gnome alsa-mixer or install it through synaptic or ubuntu software centre

then find it under applications/sound and video

unclick the relevant ones for you depending on your setup

then go to audacity

and click on view/toolbars/devices

click on that then pick your device you want as a line-in

or you can go to edit/ preferences/devices as another route

you will then see a drop-down box on your audacity see attached picture pick mix0

PS: Also make sure when you go to system/ preferences/sound you have chosen the right input for the line -in you want in this case

you should be good to go:KS