PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dowloading from emusic with chrome

noob.bot76
March 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hello all,

I've been coming here and getting help since I bought my netbook, but this is my first post. As my name suggests, i'm a complete noob, and don't know much about computers -- I came to ubuntu via endless frustration with Windows, and because I like the open software model.

Anyhow, my "problem" which is probably easily solved. I signed up for emusic before i had ubuntu. When i got my netbook, I couldnt download files, so i came here and a thread directed me to emusicj manager. After some initial noob confusion, this has been working fine.

However, i just downloaded google chrome, and tried to download an album file. The download was successful (the file is in my download folder and the emusic website monitor says it downloaded fine), but when I go to the "open with" option, my music manager (emusicj) is not listed. This is usually how I open files when downloading with firefox -- though i'm automatically prompted -- and the file is automatically imported into Rythmbox. With chrome the download happened without any "open with" prompts, and I do not see the file anywhere in my "files and folders" only in my internet download list. If i try to open with rythmbox, the player opens, but without the file. If I just right click and select open, I get a blank Firefox tab (even though I'm in Chrome).

Hope that's clear. Thanks in advance

noob.bot76
March 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM
So...

Is this the wrong question, a stupid question, or maybe the wrong forum?

What's up? I don't mind if it's any of the above, but some some insight would help.

thanks

howefield
March 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Perhaps there are few here with your problem, you appear to have a solution that works, but want it to work in another way ie, via chrome.

In any event, please feel free to bump your topic back up to the top of the rankings once every 24 hours or so. Posts can get buried fairly quickly.

Posting this in General help may also may a better place for it. This isn't necessarily the "wrong" place to post your query, but most posts here are hardware related.

Does "emusic" have support forums/faqs/wikis ect that you could also try ?

nothingspecial
March 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
If emusicj manager is not listed in the "open with" box, choose open with other application, then choose custom command. In the box that opens up type
emusicj

If that doesn't work, emusicj may not be the command to open it. In that case, assuming emusicj has a menu entry, go system > preferences > main menu then find the entry for emusicj, select it then click the properties button and you will see the correct command.

Other than that, you can have firefox and chrome at the same time, if you prefer chrome then use that for browsing but use firefox to download your music.

noob.bot76
March 12th, 2011, 02:37 AM
nothingspecial,

will try that once my emusic account is "recharged" -- thanks for the replies. :D