PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] seeking apps for linux

anon85
March 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
i am using ubuntu for basic word processing.

is there any cool stuff else i can play with this thing.

grahammechanical
March 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Go to Applications>Ubuntu Software Centre and have nose around.

Regards.

maqtanim
March 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Which type of cool stuffs do you need? As grahammechanical mentioned, go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Center and check out the applications there. Also you can check Compiz for cool effects.

If you have no clue what Compiz is then just watch the following video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFsaPxQu_E

anon85
March 5th, 2011, 03:00 PM
well, i've been playing vi editor for two semesters long. i wish i could do something cool in linux as well as in windows.

things like, remote linux via X on windows.. which i've been searching..
or some photo editing software, movie players.. and so on.

jmszr
March 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
anon85,

Here are a few of the apps well worth checking out:

Photo editing/managing: The GIMP image editor, digiKam image manager

movie players: VLC, SMPlayer

You might also like: Blender (3d model and animation creator and editor), Inkscape (SVG image creator and editor), Calibre or FBReader (e-book readers), K3b (burner) Audacity (audio recorder and editor supreme), Miro Internet TV.

And +1 to going to the Software Center and trying out apps that catch your interest.

kellemes
March 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
vitetris (http://victornils.net/tetris/)

anon85
March 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
anon85,

Here are a few of the apps well worth checking out:

Photo editing/managing: The GIMP image editor, digiKam image manager

movie players: VLC, SMPlayer

You might also like: Blender (3d model and animation creator and editor), Inkscape (SVG image creator and editor), Calibre or FBReader (e-book readers), K3b (burner) Audacity (audio recorder and editor supreme), Miro Internet TV.

And +1 to going to the Software Center and trying out apps that catch your interest.

very nice. i should copy this and save somewhere..

alexis44
March 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
It depends on what your interests are. For Media I use VLC, especially for video. For MP3, I use Audacious. Image Viewing I use Mirage. You can set it up for full size pictures. With Windows I used Irfanview, but I can't use that here unless you have Wine, and I'm not into that. They also have a Pac Man program if you like it. :D