PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is Ubuntu Worth it?

mrtn474
March 5th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Right now, I'm using Ubuntu Netbook remix (first day ever using linux). I boot it from a live USB drive and so far, I'm loving it. There's still some things that I need to figure out, I'm sure.

My main problem is that the system suddenly lags, freezes, or loads for too long sometimes. it's rare, but it happens. Is it only because it's running off a USB drive? Should I do the full install?

Details: using an HP mini 110 with Windows 7 Starter (Six months old).

Procreate
March 5th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Go ahead and install the whole thing, I had the same problem, except I was using the LiveCD.

The speed increases tremendously once you do a full install, at least for me it did.

davidmohammed
March 5th, 2011, 12:55 AM
It could be your USB stick. It can be due to graphics drivers.

The best bet if you are testing ubuntu is to install ubuntu in windows 7 - just double click the wubi.exe file on your ISO/CD/USB stick.

If you have no further issues, they start considering either dual booting or even wiping windows 7!

uRock
March 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Right now, I'm using Ubuntu Netbook remix (first day ever using linux). I boot it from a live USB drive and so far, I'm loving it. There's still some things that I need to figure out, I'm sure.

My main problem is that the system suddenly lags, freezes, or loads for too long sometimes. it's rare, but it happens. Is it only because it's running off a USB drive? Should I do the full install?

Details: using an HP mini 110 with Windows 7 Starter (Six months old).
Hello and welcome to the forums.

The lagging is normal as it is a lot slower than running from a hard drive.

I have a Netbook, but it is a bit older. I run Ubuntu 10.04 on it and I love how it runs. I chose the XP model to save a few bucks and opted for the higher performance battery.

ghostborg
March 5th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Make sure you have or make reinstall disc's not just the recovery disc's for Windows 7.
I have not used Ubuntu remix but with Ubuntu desktop you can install it along side Windows and have a dual boot machine in case there is something you can't do with Ubuntu. There is also WUBI installer that installs Ubuntu on the same partition as Windows, I used that before I decided to install it on a laptop. I did that just to make sure the hardware worked. It ran fine. Again I'm not sure if the Wubi installs remix.

deeZee
March 5th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I installed Ubuntu 10.10 from within Windows7 about a month ago using the above method, and it ran great.
However, I liked 10.10 so much that I did a regular hard drive install a couple of days ago. It runs even better now.:)

mrtn474
March 5th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Awesome, thank you so much to all who replied. Now I need to figure out how to create a partition on my hard drive. Oh and I'm obviously a noob here.. It took me a bit to find my post :|

mrtn474
March 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Okay.. How do I mark my post as solved? I'm totally new to forums in general. This is the first one I ever join