PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tj max and hangs on ubuntu 10.10 HELP

creli
March 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi new to Linux and Ubuntu 10.10 (1 week now)

I have a HP ML110 G4 server.
Kernal linux 2.6.35-25 generic
GNOME 2.32.0
2gig mem
duel prossesor Intel zeon (r) 3040 1.86 Ghz

Running Ubuntu 10.10 and i like it a lot, but got a major issue !!! every so often my system hangs. It just stops responding and reboots. Various apps can be open or none at all.

I have tried !! Tried to read the logs and forums and found a message saying tj max is assumed as 100 for both my cpus. I have run "sensors" in the terminal and they read ok.

I dont believe mu cpu is overheating. I just get a HANG up and its really the only thing thats getting me down with Ubuntu 10.10 ( if i cant solve it I will go to windows I,m affriad!)

Please help me or tell me what I have to do to radicate this problem (in basics pls im very new to all this)

Thanks

Chris.

iheartubuntu
March 4th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Have you gone into System Monitor and see what your CPU usage is at?

System > Admin > System Monitor

You can also check to see which processes or working by clicking the processes tab and then the "% CPU" column a time or two to see which apps are maxing out your ram.

NCLI
March 4th, 2011, 03:21 AM
If you get a "tj max" error, the reason is always that some part of your system believes it is overheating.

creli
March 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yes I see that it thinks its overheating but i am certain it is not !! Its always super cool and has a cooling system built in to the computer.

I have checked cpu usage and its fine, nothing maxing out anything!!

just every so often it hangs/freezes and reboots, when i check various logs i always find just before re boot, Tjmax assumed as 100 c!

Like i said ive looked al lover the forums and the net and i m lost. My RAM is brand new, and I am certain nothing is overheating.

Is there anything more rerported on any bugs ? I need help or its bye bye Linux i m afraid, too many problems, fixes updates, repositorys etc, required for me. I just need a system that works and gets my business done.

Please help

creli
March 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
That is my point, I am trying to say that my system is telling my computer to reboot (no crash, not a blank black screen, no errors) just a freeze and then it suddenly reboots.

My system is telling it its too hot and I believe its NOT !!! why is this happening and what is the cure if any.

Its been problem after problem with this Ubuntu 10.10 to be honest, but as I said I like it, just dont like all the messing about fixing things all the time.

I dont have the time !! or the knowledge.

HELP PLS