PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Right click or hover pop up graphic remains on desktop

gmchaffie
March 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so I apologize for not using the correct lingo. I've searched high and low for an answer to this problem, but I can't find anything of help.

My problem is incredibly annoying. Occasionally when I right click, the dialog box remains on the desktop, overlaying any other applications. There's no obvious way to clear this. A graphical box the size of the right-click box sits atop all applications. While I'm typing now, I have multiple boxes on top of Firefox blocking my view. I can't see!

The same thing invariably happens when I use the program rkward and a function automatically pops up a help 'balloon'.

The only fix I've found is logging in and out/restarting. With how often this happens, that's far from efficient and I can't get any work done. I have an impending masters thesis deadline.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Krytarik
March 4th, 2011, 11:38 PM
If you have Compiz running (desktop effects), does this issue also occur if you use Metacity instead? To switch to it, press Alt+F2 and enter:

metacity --replace

gmchaffie
March 5th, 2011, 12:23 AM
If you have Compiz running (desktop effects), does this issue also occur if you use Metacity instead? To switch to it, press Alt+F2 and enter:

metacity --replace

I hope this works. I'll let you know if the problem persists. Thank you.