PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After recent update, red youtube videos?

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
After the recent update my OS went through requiring a restart, all the videos I play on youtube.com from Chrome or Chromium are red. Like a red filter on them. Mozilla works fine. I'm assuming it has something to do with the flash update in Chromium?

Any suggestions on a fix or if I should bring this up another chain?

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm having the same problem. I have been using HTML5 instead of Flash Player. You can use HTML5 instead by joining the beta at youtube.com/html5.

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm having the same problem. I have been using HTML5 instead of Flash Player. You can use HTML5 instead by joining the beta at youtube.com/html5.

I signed up (I'm assuming. I clicked the "join" link and it changed to a "leave" link), and restarted my browser (Chrome) and still get the red filter of death.

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Not all youtube videos will work with HTML5. I am going to try downgrading my Flashplayer.

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I tried a couple. And I just watched an embedded youtube video in my RSS reader and it played fine.

sigh.

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Not all youtube videos will work with HTML5. I am going to try downgrading my Flashplayer.

Did downgrading work and what's the easiest/best way to roll flash back?

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have found a fix! Uninstall flashplugin-installer and then install flashplayer .deb from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect.

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Just FYI uninstalling flashplugin-installer also uninstalls Boxee (of course you can reinstall it).

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
...what if I use Chrome and Flash is "already built in?"

Will this uninstall and reinstall off adobe's site work with it?

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
It worked for me and I'm on Chromium. We appear to be having the same problem though so...

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Okay the problem appears to be back for me. This is weird.

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
It worked for me and I'm on Chromium. We appear to be having the same problem though so...

It looked like that worked...I uninstalled the flashplugin and then cleared Chrome and restarted it and watched two videos: one I hadn't viewed previously and one I had. They both played with no redness but then I clicked on another and the redness came back.

sigh x2.

t2491tom
March 3rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
I guess this problem is not fixable. They will probably fix it tomorrow. So I guess all we can do is wait.

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
I guess this problem is not fixable. They will probably fix it tomorrow. So I guess all we can do is wait.

](*,)

smithsmg
March 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Got same problem on my 10.04 :(

gimspang
March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Solved! Ubuntu 10.10 64bit Desktop.
- Close Chromium
- Unistall flash (see previous posts)
- Open Firefox
- Try access youtube video
- Get an error message and a button to load plug-ins
- Install Gnash
- Close Firefox
- Open Chromium
- Access youtube videos
PS: Gnash has always worked better than Adobe's plugins for me.
Enjoy.

insm0d
March 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
I have 10.04 32 bit and had this problem yesterday too. Just logged in about 10 minutes ago and there were security updates for firefox, pango, and xulrunner. The updates haven't helped any.

I'm only having this red video problem with youtube. Other flash video players work. I'm just going to shoot youtube tech support an email and see if they know what's going on.

wonderart
March 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm having the same problem...but after reinstall Chromium all fine :)

andypearce
March 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Just discovered I have this problem too... even after all the updates. My BBC iplayer and Channel 4OD (UK) both work fine... youtube orangy/red on the flash but the thumbnails on youtube are fine....I am on the search for a solution....Ubuntu 10.4 Adobe flash player 10.2.152.27
A

MrEgg
March 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Same problem here since this morning, on Lucid 32 bit. No problem on Maverick 64 bit.

The problem disappears if the PREF youtube cookie is erased. It comes back with the cookie, though.

Temporary workaround : erase the PREF cookie + block all youtube cookies.

YouTube videos will then play fine, but you won't be able to log into your account.

Egg

calder76
March 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Confirmed - removing PREF cookie removes pink layer. Unfortunately, it also blocks watching videos in full screen mode.

MrEgg
March 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah, you're right about full screen mode. You'll have to use the Desktop Zoom effect from Compiz, to sort of emulate full screen until this is resolved.

calder76
March 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Solution that works for me:

1. Uninstall current Flash plugin through Synaptic (package adobe-flashplugin or flashplugin-installer).
2. Download latest Adobe Flex 4.1 SDK from http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/download?build=4.1.0.16076&pkgtype=1 (you have to check "I have read the License Agreement (...)" to get the download link).
3. Unzip flex_sdk_4.1.0.16076.zip, go to runtimes/player/10.1/lnx and find file libflashplayer.so.tar.gz.
4. Unpack the file with "tar xf libflashplayer.so.tar.gz" and you'll get the plugin libflashplayer.so.
5. Copy libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and restart the browser.

Enjoy it.

calder76
March 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
The problem seems to affect all versions of Flash player 10.2, it does not affect 10.1 nor 10.0. The PREF cookie stores the version of your player and it probably helps Youtube to determine the stream to serve. The new versions of the streams, dedicated specifically to 10.2 seem to be broken somehow (or the Linux version of the plugin cannot handle them properly). This explains why the video works fine until the PREF cookie gets set by Youtube.
I noticed the problem to appear once a while on some of the videos just yesterday, and today I got all videos obviosuly lacking one of RGB channels. It seems that the problem is not related to Ubuntu updates, but to the changes YT probably has just introduced to their infrastructure.

Paddy Landau
March 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have this problem, too. It affects some, but not all, YouTube videos, in both Firefox and Chromium.

I'll wait a couple of days to see if it's fixed.

Do you know if anyone has reported this as a bug?

oracle2b
March 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I hope this issue gets fixed in a update soon before I have to go mucking around an ugly hack.

unrater
March 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm also with this problem. It happened after last update!

Neosano
March 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Same problem, affects some videos only.

calder76
March 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Paddy, I don't know if anyone has reported it yet. Downgrading Flash to 10.1 (which I had to extract from Flex SDK, because Adobe does not provide versions earlier than 10.2 officially) worked for me, so I'm going to stick with it for now.
Lessons learned:
1. Don't upgrade Adobe software until you absolutely have to.
2. Steve Jobs was right, Flash is a crap ;)

unrater
March 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
For me the problem is only in the youtube.com domain!

The videos work like normally in other sites, like youtube.

I purged it, but did not worked :(

johntaylor1887
March 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm glad I havn't updated in a while. I won't be updating either, until this is fixed. Has anyone reported this bug?

komputes
March 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Would those experiencing this problems please post if:
-It affects Firefox, Chromium or both
-The name of the flash package installed (and source if not from repos) - if no package, state manual install (flashplugin.so)
-Your settings in gstreamer-properties (Video > Default Output)
-Your video card make/model/PCI ID*/driver*

*PCI ID and driver can be obtained in the output of the following command:

lspci | grep -i VGA | awk '{print "sudo lspci -knn -s "$1}' | bash

knappster
March 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
for a temporary solution, just turn off and delete the cookies for youtube. you cant be signed in to your youtube account however. but deleting the cookies for youtube will work.

ok it was working lol. now it doesnt play at all. are cookies needed to play youtube videos? yeah im a noob

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm glad I havn't updated in a while. I won't be updating either, until this is fixed. Has anyone reported this bug?

Where shall we all report this bug to? Youtube and/or Adobe?

nslegacy163
March 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
-The name of the flash package installed (and source if not from repos) - if no package, state manual install (flashplugin.so)

Hi,

Yes it is on both Chromium (and Chrome, I have both) and Firefox.
My flash is from the repos/built into Chrome
My output for the above code is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc R430 [Radeon X800 XL] (PCIe) [1002:554d]
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:0302]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon

Also, there is no red filter on embedded youtube videos.
Thanks!

Freezer52000
March 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM

- Affects both Chrome and Firefox
- Chrome: built-in flash 10.2.154; Firefox: libflashplayer.so 10.2 r152
- gstreamer default output: v4l2
- video card: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:29c2] (rev 10)
- Kernel driver in use: i915

Neosano
March 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
WORKAROUND:
those red videos usually have "Pop out" button right to the quality change drop down. Popped out video is normal.

iuno
March 4th, 2011, 01:26 AM
WORKAROUND:
those red videos usually have "Pop out" button right to the quality change drop down. Popped out video is normal.

yeah, that works... :KS

Ralph_de_Rijke
March 4th, 2011, 02:13 AM

Yep, same problem here since yesterday's automatic software upgrade. Red cast (and sometimes two sets of images at different sizes) in embedded YouTube videos. Pop-out and non-YT Flash content works correctly, as described. In my case:
- Firefox 3.16.14, Chrome 9.0.597.107
- Flashplugin (using the Flash-Aid extension in Firefox)
- gstréamer-properties: Default Output = autodetect
- Intel Corp Mobile / 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML / 8086:27a2 [rev 03] / i915

You'd think developers would check FB first thing... :-)

t2491tom
March 4th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I reported the problem to youtube. The latest versions of VLC allow you to play youtube by simply adding the video URL.

insm0d
March 4th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I'm hardly an expert at anything but it seems to me the cyan channel is twice as big as the normal sized magenta channel and the green channel doesn't appear at all.

Ants_A
March 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM

- Affects both. On both if the PREF cookie is deleted, then the first video plays correctly, but if it gets set subsequent pageloads play the video with a red cast.
- Package: flashplugin-installer
Version: 10.2.152.27ubuntu0.10.10.1
- Whatever the default is on Kubuntu 10.10.
- Video card info:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M24GL [Mobility FireGL V3200] [1002:3154] (rev 80)
Subsystem: IBM Device [1014:0570]
Kernel modules: radeon, radeonfb

ironhoof
March 4th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Yea, me too both players after update, all red with a zoomed in purplish video playing in the corner, looks like the video is divided into its RGB components.

However since I have two boots of Linux on this machine. I booted into my second boot (Kubuntu) without the update, and it played 1 video fine, and then it all changed to RED. This might be a youtube issue...

andypearce
March 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Firefox only
Ubuntu 10.4 32bit
flash Adobe 10.2.152.27
video output autodetect
I do not know what soundcard
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M] [1002:5a62]
Kernel modules: radeonfb, radeon

sles
March 4th, 2011, 08:36 AM
for a temporary solution, just turn off and delete the cookies for youtube.

thank you, it helps for some time.
btw, in my case youtube video doesn't work at all because of plugin crash.
deleting cookies helps, but not forever :-(

MrEgg
March 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Affects both FF & Chromium; YT video expand or fullscreen also affected.
Affects : only YT videos.

Lucid 32 bit
libflashplayer 10.2r152
FF 3.6.14
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

MsKK
March 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
-Chrome only in Ubuntu 10.4 32bit
-adobe-flashplugin version 10.2.152.27-0lucid1
-video default output autodetect
-Video card info
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:a011]

The redness filter of death (RFOD) goes away when I click on the popout option in youtube.

Gaygerbil
March 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
There's a couple of solutions to this for the meantime. Hopefully this gets fixed. Leave it Adobe to screw Linux users once again lol.

First is deleting and blocking cookies.

Second is favoriting vids and viewing them from your channel, you can't see them in fullscreen though. But you can zoom in on those vids to reproduce a similar effect.

Third is to use this:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Fullscreen doesn't work with this either but still.

Hopefully it gets fixed, I use Youtube a lot and this is bothering me, I was just starting to really enjoy the new Flashplayer too, it loads HD vids so much faster and plays em' way smoother than before.

MrEgg
March 4th, 2011, 09:52 AM
System NOT affected :

Ubuntu 10.10 64bits
Firefox 3.6.14 (haven't tried Chromium)
Works fine in all modes (embedded, expanded, full screen)
flashplugin64-installer : 10.3.162.29-0ubuntu0~sevenmachines2

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:844d]

weirdguille
March 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I fixed mine by downgrading flashplugin-installer to 10.1

Just run

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer

Then download either

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_i386.deb
or

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_amd64.deb
depending on your system, and install the .deb.

Then lock the flashplugin-installer version in synaptic (it will stop it from updating). Unlock it once we know 10.2 is bug-free.

Now, I use chromium-browser (daily ppa), and there is a little inconvenience: it'll always ask for the plugin to be updated. So you just need to click on "run this time", and it'll work normally. But the next time you open another youtube video, it'll ask for the update again.

Ah, by the way, this proves that it's not a youtube issue (I thought it had to do with the new layout, but apparently it doesn't), but a flashplugin 10.2 issue.

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
use this:
http://www.youtube.com/html5
Not for Firefox version 3, though.

"Pop out" button
Ooh, clever! Thanks, that works.

Would those experiencing this problems please post...
Affects: Both Firefox (3.6.14) and Chromium (9.0.597.107 (75357) Ubuntu 10.04)
Flash from repos: 10.2.152.27ubuntu10.04.1
gstreamer-properties: Video for Linux 2 (v4l2)
Video card:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)

I wonder whether there is a difference between people using 32-bit and 64-bit? I have 64-bit Ubuntu installed.

MrEgg
March 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder whether there is a difference between people using 32-bit and 64-bit? I have 64-bit Ubuntu installed.

You bet! I'm not affected on my Maverick 64 bit. See post #49.

Egg

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM
You bet! I'm not affected on my Maverick 64 bit. See post #49.
Oh, that's interesting. My 64-bit is affected.

However, I notice you say you have flashplugin64-installer. I have flashplugin-installer.

I wonder, as an experiment, what would happen if I uninstall flashplugin-installer and install flashplugin64-installer. The only thing is, I don't know where to find flashplugin64-installer.

MrEgg
March 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
You have to get it from the ppa I mentioned in post #49

saalikr
March 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Just run

Then download either

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_i386.deb
or

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Then lock the flashplugin-installer version in synaptic (it will stop it from updating). Unlock it once we know 10.2 is bug-free.

Now, I use chromium-browser (daily ppa), and there is a little inconvenience: it'll always ask for the plugin to be updated. So you just need to click on "run this time", and it'll work normally. But the next time you open another youtube video, it'll ask for the update again.

Ah, by the way, this proves that it's not a youtube issue (I thought it had to do with the new layout, but apparently it doesn't), but a flashplugin 10.2 issue.

Thanks weirdguille. I followed your advice and now it works perfectly.
I am so glad I am a Linux user with knowledge and assistance like this so readily available.
Keep up the good work all.

Katten Jansson
March 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM
How to fix this!

This procedure worked for me. The reasons given why it works is speculations.Youtube use faulty/outdated preferences for showing video, it get those from cookies that the site have set previously. Youtube seem to use some kind of "super cookie" (it use reduntant places to store information in order to make it harder for you to delete it), so you have to clean out both flash cookies and web-browser cookies and cache, otherwise youtube will restore the old preference after some time and go back to displaying pink videos.

Close all Youtube, Google, et.c. affiliated pages in the browser(s).

Remove flash cookies
Use a tool like better privacy or do it manually.

Remove browser cookies and clear cache
Do this for all browsers that you use (or it will reset the Flash preferences shared by all browsers).

Update: I found a Wikipedia-article describing these kind of cookies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I've made a list of all the possible fixes and how to apply them: Fix red YouTube videos bug (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/fix-pinkred-youtube-videos-bug-using.html).

I hope it helps...

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
You have to get it from the ppa I mentioned in post #49
Thanks. I struggled to find out how to do that, but I have found out now:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flashI uninstalled flashplugin-installer, installed flashplugin64-installer (version 10.3.169.29-0ubuntu0~sevenmachines2), installed all updates, and rebooted just in case. Unfortunately, it has not fixed the problem. :(

MrEgg
March 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I uninstalled flashplugin-installer, installed flashplugin64-installer (version 10.3.169.29-0ubuntu0~sevenmachines2), installed all updates, and rebooted just in case. Unfortunately, it has not fixed the problem. :(

Since your system was originally affected by the bug, maybe you can try clearing out all YouTube cookies and all cache again.

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Since your system was originally affected by the bug, maybe you can try clearing out all YouTube cookies and all cache again.
I did that. It worked -- until I logged in again! I'll use the pop-out method until this is fixed.

Dr Heelhook
March 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I am having the exact same problem as well. Pink tinted Youtube. My flash also crashes quite often, especially in connection to Youtube.

I have Maverick Meerkat, Firefox and Flash version 10,2,152,27. I also cannot access settings.

BTW, thanks for the popout tip.

amanetta
March 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I haven't red youtube videos but if a video of youtube is playing in firefox it appears on every board of firefox...

I post a link to give a better explanation....

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/schermata2.png/

thank u

Kupfer
March 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks to user Liakoni from the Linux Mint Forums I can report a solution this problem. You need to disable hardware acceleration in the flash settings.

Step 1. Right click on a flash content (I went to this flash site http://moodstream.gettyimages.com/ and simply right clicked on the page)
Step 2. Choose the entry "Settings..."
Step 3. Unclick entry "Enable hardware acceleration"
Step 4. Click "Close"

For me this fixed the issue on all of my browesers (Firefox, Chrome stable, Chromium). No more thick red filter on youtube videos.

Thanks again to Liakoni for discovering this solution.

Ralph_de_Rijke
March 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks to user Liakoni from the Linux Mint Forums I can report a solution this problem. You need to disable hardware acceleration in the flash settings.

Step 1. Right click on a flash content (I went to this flash site http://moodstream.gettyimages.com/ and simply right clicked on the page)
Step 4. Click "Close"

For me this fixed the issue on all of my browesers (Firefox, Chrome stable, Chromium). No more thick red filter on youtube videos.

Worked for me. I'd call it a workaround rather than a solution, but thanks anyway. :-)

Col-1023
March 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Kupfer.

Your suggestion to turn off hardware acceleration has worked for me, I really appreciate it.

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
You need to disable hardware acceleration in the flash settings.
Thank you, works for me!

amanetta
March 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
work for me too...

weirdguille
March 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Step 4. Click "Close"

Worked for me, and it's more convenient than the workaround I posted (no requests to update all the time).

Thanks.

logruszed
March 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks! It worked a treat.

Step 4. Click "Close"

[censored]
March 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Solution that works for me:

1. Uninstall current Flash plugin through Synaptic (package adobe-flashplugin or flashplugin-installer).
2. Download latest Adobe Flex 4.1 SDK from http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/download?build=4.1.0.16076&pkgtype=1 (you have to check "I have read the License Agreement (...)" to get the download link).
3. Unzip flex_sdk_4.1.0.16076.zip, go to runtimes/player/10.1/lnx and find file libflashplayer.so.tar.gz.
4. Unpack the file with "tar xf libflashplayer.so.tar.gz" and you'll get the plugin libflashplayer.so.
5. Copy libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and restart the browser.

Enjoy it.

Worked for Calder. Thanks!

Paddy Landau
March 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I have reported this as a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/729307

If it affects you, please go there and vote for it (the green text on the left almost at the top).

Thank you to David Bensimon, who has been helping me report the bug and who will forward it to Adobe.

bagy
March 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I can't disable hardware acceleration -.-

donut123
March 5th, 2011, 12:23 AM
After the recent update my OS went through requiring a restart, all the videos I play on youtube.com from Chrome or Chromium are red. Like a red filter on them. Mozilla works fine. I'm assuming it has something to do with the flash update in Chromium?

Any suggestions on a fix or if I should bring this up another chain?

Hello...try this
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=1526

jfloydb
March 5th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I've read many, but not all, of the posts on this thread. Forgive me if this answer has been covered. The fix, for me, was to go to the Synaptic Package Manager, choose the flashplugin-installer 10.2, goto the Package menu, click Force Version..., and "downgrade" to Flash 10.0; after which, I clicked Lock Version, so it will not "upgrade" with the next updates. That's it; everything is working fine.

I know many Windows users who have never upgraded their Flash plugin, and they never seem to have any problems. For all they (or I) know, they are using Flash version 1, or 5, or whatever. So I'm not concerned about using an older Flash plugin. I might "upgrade" when the current problems are fixed.

bou3lam
March 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM
didnt helped :(

Roush 427r
March 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
On UNE 10.04 x86, Same problem on Firefox & chromium.

Marzata
March 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
-

Marzata
March 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
WORKAROUND:
Thank you!

MrEgg
March 5th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Step 4. Click "Close"

Excellent, works for me too! Thanks for figuring this workaround out!

zipizap
March 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Step 4. Click "Close"

It fixed it for me too - I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with Firefox and Chrome
Thanks Kupfer for the share, and shame on adobe...

bellial
March 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm having a problem, it started happening after recent updates on both firefox and chromium and the OS itself, whenever I start a youtube video on firefox, the first audio second loops for about 3 seconds and my computer restarts. It was happening on chromium too, but then I cleared the cache and it played fine. On FF even clearing the cache doesn't work. Other flash things like facebook games work fine. Can I fix this?
By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.
According to this site, http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
I'm using flash version 10,2,152,27 installed.

Paddy Landau
March 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm having a problem...
Did you disable hardware acceleration (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10520930#post10520930)?

bagy
March 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I can't uncheck "enable hardware acc".

bellial
March 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Did you disable hardware acceleration (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10520930#post10520930)?

I did, but nothing.:(

gradinaruvasile
March 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
The vanilla Adobe flash is buggy as hell (version 10.2.152.27). It is supposed to have hardware decoding (Stage Video) implemented for the newer nvidia/ati cards (with the proprietary driver) but it seems it doesnt work all the time and crashes as hell.

I use the Chrome's included flash player (version 10.2.r154) in all my browsers (mainly Opera). This works fine (the hw decoding is disabled for good though).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148409&page=7

bellial
March 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
The vanilla Adobe flash is buggy as hell (version 10.2.152.27). It is supposed to have hardware decoding (Stage Video) implemented for the newer nvidia/ati cards (with the proprietary driver) but it seems it doesnt work all the time and crashes as hell.

I use the Chrome's included flash player (version 10.2.r154) in all my browsers (mainly Opera). This works fine (the hw decoding is disabled for good though).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148409&page=7

Where can I download it? I don't really like the way chromium deals with flash games, it's too laggy.

t2491tom
March 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Here are a bunch of fixes from webupd8: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/fix-pinkred-youtube-videos-bug-using.html#more

newbuntuxx
March 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Just run

Then download either

or

Worked! But I guess the problem is with hardware acceleration. I read that part after following the directions in your post.

Thanks.

cntmn8td2006
March 6th, 2011, 02:13 AM

Thank you, your solution worked just fine.

MsKK
March 6th, 2011, 04:04 AM

Step 4. Click "Close"

This worked for me, thanks ;) I wonder what "side-effects" are there for this workaround... anyone?

mannyweb.ca
March 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Just run

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installerThen download either

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_i386.debor

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-installer_10.1.85.3ubuntu1_amd64.debdepending on your system, and install the .deb.

This worked like a charm even got my facebook photo uploader working.

Thanks a million! :D

dooper
March 6th, 2011, 09:25 AM

reprots no such file ??

buckyb
March 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I recently updated some packages, which may have included flash, and now youtube doesn't work properly. I tried playing HD flash videos in other websites, and they all seem to work fine.

Some of the problems I've been having include: Video plays in Black and White, Progress Bar is choppy, freezes even though the video is playing, and sometimes when I maximize to fullscreen the video goes black, but you continue to hear it playing. If I minimize the video, it goes back to normal.

The problem occurs in both Chrome and Firefox, and I'm using Fedora 14.

I've gone through several workarounds/solutions none of them work to my satisfaction:
1. Disable Hardware Acceleration: Video Freezes when I go to fullscreen
2. Uninstall most recent flashplugin and install an older version i.e. 10.1: Won't work for me because I primarily use Chrome
3. Use the Pop-Out Option: Works perfectly even in full screen for the first few seconds but then flash crashes in both Chrome and Firefox.
4. Uninstall flash and use gnash: Wont work for Chrome
5: Delete cookies and restart browser: Nada

The best workaround I've found so far is either zoom with compiz or vlc network stream, neither of which is as convenient as double clicking to go to fullscreen.

Anyone have any decent solutions? Maybe a VLC extension for chrome....mmmm VLC extension in Chrome, now that's a thought to salivate over.

beew
March 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
The best solution would be to either use the flashvideoreplacer plugin for Firefox or install minitube 1.4 to watch Youtube. That way you don't need flash at all.

Paddy Landau
March 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I wonder what "side-effects" are there for this workaround... anyone?
I have found that videos sometimes pause briefly. Otherwise, none.

mfratus2001
March 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I've been experiencing this for a while, but it even crashes with embedded video.

You have to install an older version, but it conflicts with your current install, so in terminal, say:

sudo apt-get remove adobe-flashplugin

Then install the version you can download from here:

Thanks, weirdguille, for the links.
Works like it used to.

beew
March 7th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I've been experiencing this for a while, but it even crashes with embedded video.

You have to install an older version, but it conflicts with your current install, so in terminal, say:

Thanks, weirdguille, for the links.
Works like it used to.

Why would you rather go through the troubles to downgrade flash than to use flash alternatives (with better results even if flash works)? Since Youtube appears to be the only problem it can be easily handled by the alternatives I suggested.

DalaiDakkar
March 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I have a [Radeon X1200 Series] on my laptop, and started suffering red videos after last update of ubuntu 9.10, I tried the fix suggested on another post and it worked for me. go to http://moodstream.gettyimages.com/ then right click the flash animation and click settings from the pop up menu and look for the enable hardware acceleration and disable it, refresh youtube page and works fine now :)

YodaJones
March 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I am also affected with this problem.
I have noticed that if I am playing a youtube video with the red tint and I click the browser refresh I get the crash error "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" send crash report. After sending the report and refresing the video will again play WITH the red tint. If I click refresh the flash player will again crash.
This happens every single time and is repeatable. Every other refresh will crash the flash player.

Has anyone else noticed that it crashes gmail somehow also? Why does gmail use flash?

-------------------

= BOTH Google Chrome 9.0.597.107 and Firefox 3.6.14

= Unsure

Default Output
Plugin: Autodetect
Device: greyed out
Pipeline: Greyed out

Default Input
Plugin: Video for Linux 2 (v4|2)
Device: Default
Pipeline: Greyed out

= Unsure

OUTPUT:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] [1002:5b60]
Kernel modules: radeonfb, radeon

Nikola Georgiev
March 8th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Yeah, and gogle translator too.
Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks about the Disable Hardware Acceleration thing, it worked, but I think it just treats the symptom.

markthekdeguy
March 8th, 2011, 04:19 AM
In Firefox there is a fun little plugin (add-ons) called FlashVideoReplacer
which forces Youtube videos to play in a proper media player. VLC, Kplayer, KMPlayer, Smplayer Kaffeine, Xine, Mplayer, Totem Dragonplayer or whatever. all work, but " FlashVideoReplacer " seems a little flaky on my system so far. i even uninstalled Flash to test, and Youtube was sweet.i prefer it to Flash now.

Orographic
March 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
This is why I love Ubuntu and the forums here; so many good heads looking at solutions. :-)

I have a related problem and am using Flash 10.2.152.27. In Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit, I can view full screen fine in YouTube but when I select another YouTube video in small screen with the videos on the right, I get a message that says, 'Adobe Flash Player has crashed please reload' and all works fine after I reload. I can't select the settings at all via right mouse click in YouTube but if I go to iView website, I can select to 'uncheck hardware acceleration' option but then YouTube wont leave fullscreen and I have to do a Alt-F12 then ctrl-alt-del to restart.

This problem is only occuring in Forefox 3.6.14 for me since the last Flash update and it doesn't seem to be occuring in Chromium in standard or fullscreen. I got my flash via installing 'Ubuntu Restricted Extras' and it has been working perfectly until the last update.

I've just found that Adobe Settings page and will look at that and fiddle around with a few things. I also make clonezilla images of my setup so I can easily restore an earlier version of 10.10 or just downgrade Flash and lock it.

Just trying to delete all Flash cookies via their online settings manager and deleted my own cache, cookies etc in Firefox and Chromium but the Flash Player in Firefox still crashed but works fine on reload in small and fullscreen. Chromium seems to work perfectly for me.

System: Core i3 540 with Gigabyte H55-USB3 motherboard and on-chip HD graphics.

Paddy Landau
March 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks about the Disable Hardware Acceleration thing, it worked, but I think it just treats the symptom.
Correct. However, Canonical has confirmed this as a "High" rated bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/729307), and Canonical has passed the bug to Adobe (who is responsible for it).

Motorhead Kaze
March 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
THANKS!

I am so glad I decided to come check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem!

http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu1_i386.deb

Thanks everybody who posted & reposted these links!

PS that pop-out idea on YouTube was spiffy too.

Paddy Landau
March 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
PS that pop-out idea on YouTube was spiffy too.
The easiest method is to disable hardware acceleration (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10520930#post10520930), although several people have used Firefox's flashvideoreplacer plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/flashvideoreplacer/).

Dr Heelhook
March 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I was starting to think I was being punished for watching too much YouYube, then I switched to Flash 10.1 and now it's all dandy (HELLZ yeah!).

jaci87
March 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
You can also try with the 10.3 beta version of adobe flash player: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10-3.html
I've installed and it seems to work fine. :)

Orographic
March 9th, 2011, 12:33 AM
The easiest method is to disable hardware acceleration (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10520930#post10520930), although several people have used Firefox's flashvideoreplacer plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/flashvideoreplacer/).

Doing that makes my system crash. I'm using a core i3 540 with on-chip graphics and the H-55 Gigabyte motherboard.

I've had a look in Natty Alpha 3 (11.04) and it still crashed Flash in YouTube but its easily recoverable on my system via a reload. I might just wait for an update to the newer Flash when it comes out.

Html5 runs quite well on my system also, both in Natty and 10.10.

Edit: I've just tried about fifty YouTube videos on Chromium and not one of them crashed Flash, so that is interesting.

relgames
March 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think I have found another workaround. It's for Chrome but there definitely should be similar extension for FireFox.

1. Install Edit This Cookie (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fngmhnnpilhplaeedifhccceomclgfbg) extension
When installed, a new icon appears near the Settings icon

2. Go to YouTube, open any video. Press F5 several times (to be sure cookies are loaded)

3. Click Edit This Cookie icon. Locate PREF cookie. It contains something like "f1=50000000&fv=10.2.154"

4. Change it's value to "ee" (doesn't really matter, but I used "ee").
Click Submit Cookie Changes.

5. Locate PREF cookie again. Click "Set as readonly"

That's it, if you load any Youtube video it should work. At least it works for me ;)

You can verify your changes by going to "Edit This Cookie" -> Preferences. If you did everything right, you should see:

Domain: .youtube.com Name: PREF Value: ee

You can undo your changes by going to "Edit This Cookie" icon -> Preferences and deleting all cookies listed here.

Paddy Landau
March 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Google support thread:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=24c59369d9181cf7

attila82
March 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Great!!!

libssd
March 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Thank goodness for the forum search function, which precluded my opening a new thread on this. I first noticed the "red" problem on Youtube last night. Oddly, it wasn't 100% consistent; links to Youtube videos from other sites seemed to play with full color, while videos opened in Youtube usually (but not always) were monochrome red.

My first hypothesis was that since I have extensions synced for Chrome browser, the recent Cr-48 Chrome OS update changed Flash when I ran Chrome browser on my Ubuntu netbook, so I disabled syncing of extensions in Chrome, and restored from backup. Video is now playing in technicolor, and I am applying all Ubuntu updates since my last backup to see if the problem returns.

Now I have to go back and read through this thread from the beginning. There is nothing like an active and knowledgeable community of users.

Update: I started reading this thread from the first post, then realized it might be more productive to start from the last. ;)

I just disabled hardware acceleration pref for Flash, which has restored full color Youtube videos. I'm surprised that this problem has been around for at least a week, without being resolved by the Adobe/Google/Linux community (disabling hardware acceleration just being a work-around).

lovinglinux
March 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
In Firefox there is a fun little plugin (add-ons) called FlashVideoReplacer
which forces Youtube videos to play in a proper media player. VLC, Kplayer, KMPlayer, Smplayer Kaffeine, Xine, Mplayer, Totem Dragonplayer or whatever. all work, but " FlashVideoReplacer " seems a little flaky on my system so far. i even uninstalled Flash to test, and Youtube was sweet.i prefer it to Flash now.

I have released version 2.1.0, which has new cool features and improvements.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer

It works best with Firefox 4. I had to reduce the download link results in Firefox 3.x when viewing YouTube, because of performance issues. But it is still a lot better than flash.

The extension also has the ability to automatically redirect to webm page if you are using Firefox 4, so you can watch without any plugin. I prefer to use gecko-mediaplayer than webm tho.

Paddy Landau
March 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Are you people still getting this problem? I've removed all workarounds (which, in my case, was simply re-enabling hardware acceleration) and it works.

Either YouTube has fixed whatever needed fixing, or I'm lucky today.

vanadium
March 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Problem is still there.

JoeloRoss
March 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thank goodness for the forum search function, which precluded my opening a new thread on this. I first noticed the "red" problem on Youtube last night. Oddly, it wasn't 100% consistent; links to Youtube videos from other sites seemed to play with full color, while videos opened in Youtube usually (but not always) were monochrome red.

My first hypothesis was that since I have extensions synced for Chrome browser, the recent Cr-48 Chrome OS update changed Flash when I ran Chrome browser on my Ubuntu netbook, so I disabled syncing of extensions in Chrome, and restored from backup. Video is now playing in technicolor, and I am applying all Ubuntu updates since my last backup to see if the problem returns.

Now I have to go back and read through this thread from the beginning. There is nothing like an active and knowledgeable community of users.

Update: I started reading this thread from the first post, then realized it might be more productive to start from the last. ;)

I just disabled hardware acceleration pref for Flash, which has restored full color Youtube videos. I'm surprised that this problem has been around for at least a week, without being resolved by the Adobe/Google/Linux community (disabling hardware acceleration just being a work-around).

It works for me. PERFECT!!!!

dizzydaryluk
March 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Step 4. Click "Close"

Great thanks this works a treat. :popcorn:

The Real Pelana
March 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone!

It worked for me too; thanx a lot yall.

mattasus
March 16th, 2011, 03:24 AM
How to fix this!

This procedure worked for me. The reasons given why it works is speculations.Youtube use faulty/outdated preferences for showing video, it get those from cookies that the site have set previously. Youtube seem to use some kind of "super cookie" (it use reduntant places to store information in order to make it harder for you to delete it), so you have to clean out both flash cookies and web-browser cookies and cache, otherwise youtube will restore the old preference after some time and go back to displaying pink videos.

Close all Youtube, Google, et.c. affiliated pages in the browser(s).

Remove flash cookies
Use a tool like better privacy or do it manually.

Remove browser cookies and clear cache
Do this for all browsers that you use (or it will reset the Flash preferences shared by all browsers).

Update: I found a Wikipedia-article describing these kind of cookies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

This worked for me! for now a least! Thanks

mattasus
March 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Never mind the problem came back after a browsed elsewhere on Chrome and came back. The I re-resolved it by deleting recent cookies. Deleting the cookies solved the problem in firefox as well.

Paddy Landau
March 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM
@mattasus: This is documented elsewhere in this thread. If you read this thread, you'll find only three permanent workarounds. You'll find the easiest workaround in post #63 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10520930#post10520930), but it doesn't work for everyone.

bagy
March 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Problem fixed with 10.2.153.1 version.

Paddy Landau
March 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Problem fixed with 10.2.153.1 version.
Thank you. I've uninstalled version 10.3.162.29 (which had its own set of problems) and installed 10.2.153.1, and it works now.

nslegacy163
March 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Indeed! Looks like the red filter of death is gone thanks to the updates.

Marzata
March 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Finally a Flash update for 10.04.2 (lucid). It works!

dangmc
December 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have found a fix! Uninstall flashplugin-installer and then install flashplayer .deb from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect.

Just want to say that after using Flash-Aid (Firefox add-on) to install the latest Flash beta version everything turned blue! After reading these posts I used Flash-Aid to to the latest Adobe Flash stable version. My videos returned to normal. This is by far, the easiest way to deal with any issues involving Flash. For me, AdBlock Plus and Flash-Aid are the greatest Firefox extensions out there.
Xubuntu 11.10 X_64 install with Gnome 3 added; I'm using Gnome (no effects) Firefox 8

lovinglinux
December 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Just want to say that after using Flash-Aid (Firefox add-on) to install the latest Flash beta version everything turned blue! After reading these posts I used Flash-Aid to to the latest Adobe Flash stable version. My videos returned to normal. This is by far, the easiest way to deal with any issues involving Flash. For me, AdBlock Plus and Flash-Aid are the greatest Firefox extensions out there.
Xubuntu 11.10 X_64 install with Gnome 3 added; I'm using Gnome (no effects) Firefox 8

Glad to read that, specially considering Ad Block Plus has more than 10 million users and mine just 20 thousand. :-)