PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu, want to try my hand at programming

bfmetcalf
March 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
So I am new to Linux based systems (other than android, but I don't totally count that as Linux) and would like to try my hand at programing something simple. A thought I had was this:

I use easytether a lot to connect to the internet, it gets a little old typing in the terminal commands everytime I get disconnected. Is there a way to write a simple program that I can click on from the desk top and have it run the terminal commands needed?

Just a thought. If anybody has any insight it would be appreciated.

cgroza
March 2nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
How about a bash script?

#/bin/bash

Your commands here

bfmetcalf
March 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
Ok, I guess I'm newer than I thought, Can you elaborate a bit. Is this something I will type into terminal or use a programing software? I have seen the bash deal on here before, but I guess I never saw exactly what it was. If you know of any guides on this it would be helpful as well.

Shpongle
March 3rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
bash is basically programming logic and flow control combined with terminal commands if I was to give a very basic definition.

you can put all your commands you have to type into a bash script and execute that all the time instead.

see here
http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/ch02sec01.html

dodle
March 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Here is an example of a file that would launch a web browser: Create an empty text file on the desktop and name it whatever you want. Open it with a text editor and put in the following:

#! /bin/bash

firefox

Now close it. Right-click on the file and go to "Properties". Under the permissions tab check the box that says something like "Make file executable".

Now every time that you double-click that file it will launch Firefox web browser.

bfmetcalf
March 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Wow, That actually sounds pretty easy. I will try that tonight. Anybody do any basic apps that were a fun learning experience that they could share to give me some more ideas?