PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nokia suite

neil_1
March 2nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
how do i use the nokia suite on ubuntu ?
it only comes for windows :(

houseworkshy
March 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
If this refers to phones then you shouldn't need it at all. I just blue tooth to connect and can swap files either way between my phone and pc, I did the same with a cable a year or two ago. The phone simply apears as another drive which one can read from and write too.

My phone is a nokia

Just remembered when using a cable after I'd finished with the connection I also clicked on the icon representing the phone and unmounted it before disconnecting the cable.

neil_1
March 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
If this refers to phones then you shouldn't need it at all. I just blue tooth to connect and can swap files either way between my phone and pc, I did the same with a cable a year or two ago. The phone simply apears as another drive which one can read from and write too.

My phone is a nokia

Just remembered when using a cable after I'd finished with the connection I also clicked on the icon representing the phone and unmounted it before disconnecting the cable.
so we dont need the ovi suite ?

kolzene
March 2nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have a nokia as well ( N8 ) and the Ovi Suite does do more things than just file transfers. So while it is true you don't need it for file transfers (your computer will just read it as a USB storage), if you want to do any of the other things that Ovi Suite does (like access the Ovi Store on your computer), then you need to use it instead. I don't use it much myself, and I wouldn't know how to make it work in ubuntu. Something like Wine might work though.

Blutkoete
March 2nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have a Nokia 5800 XM - if the only thing you want to do is exchange files, just pick "Mass Storage Mode" (or what it's called, I've the German version) when plugging in the USB cable or use Bluetooth. It'll work.

EDIT: I'm slow.

houseworkshy
March 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
I've never used Nokia store but now that Ubuntu can handle 3gp video ( it couldn't once) the file manipulation apps for photos's video etc are better on the pc anyway.

There are quite a lot of public domain films on youtube. And one can get a Firefox Addon for Youtube videos which converts to 3gp. Very small files, and nice to have on the phone when camping or on the bus.