PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to set up cisco linksys router without set-up wizard

LuciaZephyr
March 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Okay, so I've used the same internet set up for ages now: old useless desktop connected to the router, everyone in the house connects to that. But now I'm going to be setting up a shiny new 1TB Stora device and I want to run it off my ubuntu laptop instead of the nearly-dead dimension desktop.

Hit a wall very early on: I got a wired connection working fine. But I can't set up the router. The set-up wizard is .exe and I can't make it work.

So, I guess I'm asking if there's a way to make the wizard run for me or if there is an ubuntu set-up program that will accomplish the same thing? All the documentation seems to be to turn a Ubuntu system into a router, and I don't want to do that.

Laptop is on the shiny new Ubuntu distro. The router is a Cisco Linksys WRT160NL.

Help?

uRock
March 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM
In a browser, enter 192.168.1.1, you'll get a pop-up asking for a username and password. The default password is admin on linksys routers, just leave the username line blank. You'll be greeted with a set-up page with multiple tabs.

If you have any more questions on the setup process, then let us know.

Cheers,
uRock

eriktheblu
March 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM
In your browser address bar, enter http://192.168.1.1/

This is the default address for Linksys routers. You should be able to modify router settings there.

LuciaZephyr
March 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Well, I feel stupid! That was easy. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Hopefully the rest of the Stora set-up will go better.