PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compiz problem

mick_86
March 1st, 2011, 11:05 PM
i have compiz installed, i had it all working with the cube effect and everything but now its not working and when i go into the compiz settings it wont let me click on any of the settings to activate them.

any ideas anyone?

Frogs Hair
March 1st, 2011, 11:13 PM
I may not have an answer , but check Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects and see if your desktop effects are still enabled.

mick_86
March 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
I may not have an answer , but check Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects and see if your desktop effects are still enabled.

yep still enabled, tried all 3 settings and none of them worked.

corncob
March 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM
i have compiz installed, i had it all working with the cube effect and everything but now its not working and when i go into the compiz settings it wont let me click on any of the settings to activate them.

any ideas anyone?

I was going to suggest you check "Cube Reflection and Deformation" and try the sphere and cylinder but if nothing's working at all you might try reinstalling the compiz settings manager

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I was going to suggest you check "Cube Reflection and Deformation" and try the sphere and cylinder but if nothing's working at all you might try reinstalling the compiz settings manager

tried that, same thing happening. i can change the settings such as sphere and cylinder but what it wont let me do is enable it. i can go into the options and change what i want but if i try to tick the box to enable it it does nothing.

ajmc
March 2nd, 2011, 12:35 AM
I have same problem before and I tried using simple compizconfig and I am able to manage my laptop's visual effects and its quite cool B-)

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I have same problem before and I tried using simple compizconfig and I am able to manage my laptop's visual effects and its quite cool B-)

tried that aswell, didnt work.

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
don't know if this is related but when i go to system>preferences>appearance then go to visual effects, every time i change it anything other than none it reverts back every time i close the window.

also the bottom quarter of my screen is blank.

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
wait this reverting back happened to me too ..let me remember what i did?
but before... you are not getting any error message while you are trying to active the features right? and your ati drivers are well activated?

corncob
March 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Good idea! I see it in the Software Center. I was going to say "You did reboot your computer since you lost the effects?" That does wonders sometimes. Its just that I leave mine on 24/7 as I'm into distributed computing and bit torrent.

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
wait this reverting back happened to me too ..let me remember what i did?
but before... you are not getting any error message while you are trying to active the features right? and your ati drivers are well activated?

no error message, don't know about the ati drivers but the effects were working prviously.

Good idea! I see it in the Software Center. I was going to say "You did reboot your computer since you lost the effects?" That does wonders sometimes. Its just that I leave mine on 24/7 as I'm into distributed computing and bit torrent.

i have rebooted several times since i lost the effects.

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
k since effects are working ati drivers are activated but to check it system->administration->additional drivers

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
k since effects are working ati drivers are activated but to check it system->administration->additional drivers

when i go to that nothing appears in the window.

corncob
March 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
don't know if this is related but when i go to system>preferences>appearance then go to visual effects, every time i change it anything other than none it reverts back every time i close the window.

also the bottom quarter of my screen is blank.

My understanding here is to leave these settings alone if you're using compiz as it will reset compiz (a useful way out though in case you get compiz really messed up and want to start all over).

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
My understanding here is to leave these settings alone if you're using compiz as it will reset compiz (a useful way out though in case you get compiz really messed up and want to start all over).

i've played about with those settings, but only after compiz stopped working. any ideas?

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
k so i guess you accidently hit (do not do this!) the
"Remember currently running applications" button in System -> preferences->StartupApplications/Options
So have a look and uncheck the checkbox if checked

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
k so i guess you accidently hit (do not do this!) the
"Remember currently running applications" button in System -> preferences->StartupApplications/Options
So have a look and uncheck the checkbox if checked

it was unchecked.

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
you sure you never hit that "Remember currently running applications" button? i would suggest hit it back if you have

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
you sure you never hit that "Remember currently running applications" button? i would suggest hit it back if you have

yes i'm sure i never hit that button. when i looked it was unchecked and i'm sure i've never checked the box before.

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
update: i tried typing compiz --replace this brought the full screen back for a few seconds then went back to having the bottom quarter of the screen blank.

this message appeared the terminal.

libccs: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
Found no decorator to start

don't know if this means anything to anyone.

update 2: typed the compiz --replace command into the startup applications section, now i have my full screen back.

i also used the synaptic manager to uninstall then reinstall all files to do with compiz. now i have my screen and the menu but when i go to the compiz menu (ccsm), i still can't activate any of the options i.e. the cube.

lidex
March 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Follow the compiz-check link in my sig and utilize the script provided. Post your result.

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Follow the compiz-check link in my sig and utilize the script provided. Post your result.

thanks lidex but literally just fixed, after all this it was simple really. i went into ccsm>preferances>plugin list and checked the automatic plugin sorting, made all my options available again. problem solved.

thanks everyone for all your patience and input!!

lidex
March 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
So, user error then? ;)

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
So, user error then? ;)

100% user error, but i'm just starting to learn. ive only been using ubuntu/linux for 3 weeks now so its all still new to me.

lidex
March 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just giving you a hard time, newbie. Can't tell you how many times I borked something. But you never stop learning. Have fun.

mick_86
March 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Just giving you a hard time, newbie. Can't tell you how many times I borked something. But you never stop learning. Have fun.

thanks, the more i learn the more it interests me, looking forward to learning more.