PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI request to command line translator?

wagnersblackberry
March 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hello. First time poster. Linux newbie but computer literate. Is their a little app that I can run in my ubuntu GUI that will show command line calls made by Ubuntu as they happen? Most actions taken in the GUI are are translatable to command lines I assume. I would like to see these requests as they happen, to use as a tool for learning the command line and options. I understand that their are complications to this but if this makes any sense then my question is..
1> Does this exist? (Even as a log would be helpful) The best example is in ZENMAP (nmap GUI) you select a scan in the GUI and it shows the command line it will execute...GREAT!

2>If not... how easy or difficult would coding something like this be? What are the complications?( I assume intercepting these calls may be a problem...)

P.S. Yes, I know the command line at a basic level but I would like to reinforce it and see the useful options and useful piping examples etc. If it showed executing scripts/macros that would be cool. ((Showing the machine code executions will not be necessary ; )

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
The first thing I can think of is to launch your apps from a terminal and observe their output from there.
You could even switch to ttys (ctrl+alt+f1-6) to see messages from running processes. (ctrl+alt+f7 to return to X).
Other than that...