PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] chmod

expatCM
March 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have a data drive. It holds a lot of directories and under those directories there are sub-directories and files. Some of the directories and files have 0700 permissions and others have 0755.

I would like to run a command to change all directories and files to have 0755 permissions.

Would "chmod -R 755" be the correct approach to this?

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM

I believe so, yes.

Tabu.it
March 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
I have a data drive. It holds a lot of directories and under those directories there are sub-directories and files. Some of the directories and files have 0700 permissions and others have 0755.

I would like to run a command to change all directories and files to have 0755 permissions.

http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html

sudo chmod -R 755 folder

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html

sudo chmod -R 755 folder
If he uses sudo, won't it change the ownership of the drive?

expatCM
March 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
but also the command "sudo chmod -R 755 folder" says folder at the end. This would be impossible since there are hundreds of folders. If folder is required would it not be better to add * as a wild card?

The owner / group is root / root without exception so as long as I execute a command at the root terminal I can do away with sudo.

Tabu.it
March 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM

Tested:

drwxrwx--- 2 ale sharing 4096 2011-02-28 18:42 Films
tech@Ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 775 Films
tech@Ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
drwxrwxr-x 2 ale sharing 4096 2011-02-28 18:42 Films

owner is still ale, or i made a mistake?

If folder is required would it not be better to add * as a wild card?

yes

mcduck
March 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM

No, chmod doesn't change ownership. On the other hand, if you are already the owner then there's absolutely no need to use sudo with chmod, you already have permission over your own files... ;)

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM
No, chmod doesn't change ownership. On the other hand, if you are already the owner then there's absolutely no need to use sudo with chmod, you already have permission over your own files... ;)

Thanks.

Morbius1
March 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Instead of:

sudo chmod -R 755 folder You might consider:

sudo chmod -R a+rwX,go-w folderThe first one will make every folder and file have permissions of 755. That's good for directories but it just made all your files executable.

The second way will make directories and all those files that are already marked as executable - executable ( that's what the big "X" does ). All other files will not be marked as executable.

Just a thought.

expatCM
March 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Gosh. So pleased I asked.

So it looks like being

sudo chmod -R a+rwX,go-w *

Thank you everyone for your contributions on this thread.

expatCM
March 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
the curious thing is that attempting to run the command generates the following...

chmod: invalid mode: 'a+rwX,'

Morbius1
March 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
the curious thing is that attempting to run the command generates the following...

chmod: invalid mode: 'a+rwX,'
One of the most irritating responses to posts like the one above is: " Well, it works for me".

I just did this on one of my own directories and did not receive that error. I hate to contribute to the great volume of bad information on the Web concerning Linux so I will try to reproduce your error.