PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Banshee and .m4v

mikeobeda
March 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM
I cannot play m4v files in banshee. I just spent an hour installing various media players, and I've found most play either video, or audio. I want to be able to play music and video just like I would in itunes under windows. I'm able to play the m4v files with other media players under ubuntu, but they won't play with banshee or amarok. Any solutions?

johntaylor1887
March 1st, 2011, 06:21 AM
VLC Player is one of the best all-around, do everything media players. It looks very simple, but is very powerful and flexible.

mikeobeda
March 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I like being able to import my media folders to a player however, so I can search through and filter my music. Can I do that in VLC?

johntaylor1887
March 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
I like being able to import my media folders to a player however, so I can search through and filter my music. Can I do that in VLC?

Yes.

mikeobeda
March 3rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
After playing around in VLC, I found the library feature, where I can point it to a folder. However, it seems that when I search, it doesn't search inside the subdirectories, which is frustrating.

In Itunes on Windows, I simply point Itunes to my music folder, and then if I wanted to listen to 'Thunderstruck', I just start typing it into the search bar. It seems that in VLC, I have to point it to my ACDC directory which is within my Music directory before it will realize that Thunderstruck is there.

It seems to me that getting Banshee to play my M4V files would serve my needs better, unless you know of a way to get similar functionality out of the search bar as I have in Itunes.