View Full Version : [ubuntu] majoong tiles for linux

March 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
hello all....I just found this program which I love to play called majoong tiles. I got the version downloaded for linux, but...being still a noob can't figure out how to install it. As all of you know, there is no "exe" file for me to execute,so....how to do it....I have included what "folders" are in the download. Please help me understand what I need to do...Thanks,.....

Witch Lady
March 1st, 2011, 01:32 AM
No info on installation in readme.txt?

March 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM

March 1st, 2011, 02:15 AM
It's a java program, so presumably you just need to run the correct .jar with the java VM. The readme doesn't provide any instruction? How about the website?

If you can't find any info, then my first guess would be to try

java -jar /home/michael/Desktop/ivory/mahjongg.jar

March 1st, 2011, 02:20 AM
I tried your code...thanks, but it didnt work either...Ill grab my ubuntu tricks and hacks book and see if it can help...if anyone else has any ideas, id appreciate em!!!....thanks Chronon and Witch Lady for your posts and possible help.....

SoFl W
March 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
How about playing the one found in the application/software center? It will install itself.

Applications-> Software Center-> Games-> search for Mahjong

March 1st, 2011, 02:40 AM
yea...its ok...but i want a more robust game...i have one for M$, but wine will not let it play....in fact I have 3 and none of them work.....so I just did a google search and found a couple free downloads for linux and wanted to try em out....I'm just not sure how to "execute" a program in linux....still learning, but enjoying!.....

March 1st, 2011, 02:52 AM

I just downloaded the tarball and the file named "ivory" is a script that checks to make sure Java is installed, adds the directory to the CLASSPATH and then launches the program. Try running that instead.

March 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
I tried your code...thanks, but it didnt work

Can you post the terminal output from the command Chronon gave you? Do you have Java installed? And can you post a URL to the game? Thanks.

March 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
oldos2er, you can download it here:

March 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
From within the ivory folder, run ./ivory