PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Ignores Login Password

ViperSpec
February 28th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I am running 10.04 LTS on an HP laptop. It was working with no issues last night. When I attempted to login today, after I enter my password, I get a black screen for 1-2 seconds, then the login screen reappears. It does not say anything about an "authentication failure", as it does when I enter a known bad password. I have rebooted several (15-20) times, with no change. I am able to boot into recovery mode, and when it asks for username and password, it allows me to the command line. However, once at the command line, I have limited function. For example, I am able to change directories using cd, but am unable to view the contents of those directories using ls. I receive the following error message:

Command 'ls' is available in '/bin/ls'
The command could not be located because '/bin' is not located in the PATH environment variable
ls: command not found

Am I screwed?

turtle153
March 1st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Not quite. Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (note: press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch back) and login to the big terminal with your username and pass. Once you've done that, type

sudo stop gdm

and enter your password again.
You'll then need to restart x under root privileges so type

sudo startx

You'll then have to press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch into the GUI mode. Using this you can go to System > Administration > Users and Groups to create a new user I would assume.

ViperSpec
March 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, but no luck. I get a similar "command not found" error, except regarding the sudo command instead of the ls command.
I did find that I can get to the root shell by booting into the recovery mode, and everything seems to work from there. But I have virtually no experience with the command line, so I don't even know where to start to try to fix this.

ViperSpec
March 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
OK, problem solved. It turned out that I had managed (don't know how) to change the $PATH variable for my profile. I was able to create an new user from the root shell in recovery mode, give that new user sudo rights, and access nautilus from the new profile. Once in nautilus, I found the modified file (.profile in my home folder). On the advice of a buddy, I changed the last lines of that file to read

if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

And now I'm able to login to the original profile, and everything is still there. Hope this helps some one else if they run into a similar issue.

turtle153
March 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Good on you for fixing it! I should have guessed there was a path problem when you can't run commands :p

March 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
just goes to show that beans are just for fun:KS