PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The best way to install Ubuntu ?

KingLex
February 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hey I recently formatted my 500 external HDD due to grub problems and i decided to re-install Ubuntu
I wanted to know how should I set up my boot , root files and such so that i wont have problems after
installing and im using Windows Vista Home Version...
and also im trying to have Ubuntu boot from any computer with no hassle at all how would i go about it
that way as well ? Thanks in advance

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know what is meant by , with no hassles . You should search for information on dual booting with an external hard drive , There are existing threads on this subject.

Rubi1200
February 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Possibly the best guide for dual-booting can be found here:
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/index.html

See also here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot/Windows

hansolo4949
February 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Well, one thing you must do is install windows first. ALWAYS install windows first, unless you want to go through the agony of reinstalling GRUB. But besides that, I see nothing else you should do, outside of packages you could install in Ubuntu.

KingLex
February 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Well, one thing you must do is install windows first. ALWAYS install windows first, unless you want to go through the agony of reinstalling GRUB. But besides that, I see nothing else you should do, outside of packages you could install in Ubuntu.

im doin it threw Windows Vista :lolflag:

philinux
February 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
im doin it threw Windows Vista :lolflag:

If you are installing wubi then you should know that it's only really for trying out ubuntu. If you've already done that I would suggest a dual boot as pointed out in the above posts.

Predicate
February 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
When i installed i used Deamon tools to "boot" up on Windows XP. BTW Say if i dont have windows or something and i like buy the cd from ubuntu shop, can't i install it then?

I mean must i have some other OS in the bakground? :P

KingLex
February 28th, 2011, 09:42 PM
If you are installing wubi then you should know that it's only really for trying out ubuntu. If you've already done that I would suggest a dual boot as pointed out in the above posts.

Yes - I did install Wubi Ubuntu before and I were kinda confused
at the difference between the ones i were seeing in videos and
Wubi - but im installing it threw a USB on to my external hdd

but i just wanted a better outlook on how to go about installing it
so i can boot it up from any computer ? w/o the hassle i had b4
due to grub errors and such I just went ahead and formatted my hdd
now im lookin for the best way to install it on to my 500GB HDD