PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Computer restarts after disk check

Blutkoete
February 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Good morning, good day or good evening (depending on your location)!

Every time Kubuntu 10.10 performs a disk check on start up, it reboots afterwards. The next start-up shows the Grub menu (which normally doesn't show up as I'm not dual-booting) hinting that there was some kind of problem during start-up.

Two (or three) questions:

1. Is there a way to trigger the start-up disk check manually for testing?

2. Which log might be helpful?

(3. Is that a known problem with a known solution?)

Thank you very much,

Blutkoete

P.S.: The systems runs normally without problems after the reboot.

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
You can try forcing a disk check on reboot by following this command.

sudo touch /forcefsck

It would check your partitions when you reboot.

Or boot from a Live CD/USB and run a check by following this command while your partitions are un-mounted.

sudo fsck -f /dev/sdXY

Where sdXY is your intended partition.

If there are any errors, fixing them should allow you to boot without any problems later.

Blutkoete
February 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Thank you, I'm creating a LiveUSB stick right now to look into that.

Blutkoete
February 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Great! Everything is fine now. I checked the disk (found some wrong-sized i_nodes, whatever that means, I'm googling for that at the moment), repaired it and then forced the standard check and it booted fine.

For other users coming here which might not be using the terminal daily:

NOTE: We'll use SUDO here, providing us with super user (root) privileges. Everything you do with SUDO can break your system, be cautious and know what you're doing. Check for typos before issuing a command.

1. Boot from a LiveCD / LiveUSB stick. (this step is important, don't just boot from your hard disk)

2. Open the terminal - in GNOME (Ubuntu): Press ALT-F2, type in gnome-terminal and hit the <Enter> key. In KDE (Kubuntu): Press ALT-F2, type in konsole and hit the <Enter> key.

3. Everything wrapped in the <code> tags from now on means you type it in the terminal window followed by pressing the <Enter> key. Find out the name of your partitions:

The -l options for fdisk commands fdisk to list all your partitions. Try man fdisk for more information (that calls the manual page which you can leave by pressing q).

sudo fdisk -lThis will show you a list with all your devices. Your local hard disk is probably named sda1. (correct me if this is plainly wrong).

4. Run the second command stated by sikander3786. The -f option forces fsck to perform the test even if everything seems to be ok (check man fsck to read more).

sudo fsck -f /dev/sdXYReplace XY by the partition you want to check, e.g. a1 if it is sda1.

5. That'll perform the check. If it finds errors, it'll ask you whether it should correct them or not. The repair might break things, so if you're unsure, post the error in this forum and ask about it. Or even better: Use Google to look for it first.

6. In my case, everything was fine now.