PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get my USB Webcam's audio to record

nslegacy163
February 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I have read up here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385739&referrerid=1246731) on how to capture audio. I can see the green bar move up and down as the mic on my Logitech 9000 webcam picks up my voice. I can see myself as well using VLC and cheese. I stopped using cheese because it would freeze up on me. Regardless, VLC captures the video flawlessly. I have successfully recorded video.

When I type ls /dev/audio* in terminal I return ls: cannot access /dev/audio*: No such file or directory. ls /dev/video returns /dev/video0 which is my logitech cam.

I can also record video AND audio on youtube.com using their web based upload.

So I know the mic works, and the sound application recognizes the mic from the webcam and youtube.com picks it up...so how do I get VLC to record it and/or audio* to list it?

Thanks!

tigeraway
May 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have exactly the same issue with my webcam - is there anyone who can point us in the right direction with this? Thanks.

nslegacy163
May 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have exactly the same issue with my webcam - is there anyone who can point us in the right direction with this? Thanks.

I went to System/Preferences/Sound looked like my mic kept getting muted by default. So that fixed it for me.