PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] deb file cleanup

cve009
February 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I am curious if it is standard practice to remove the *.deb files after an installation.
I have a few .deb files in my home, and many in /var/cache/apt/archives.
I understand they are for installing packages. I don't know if there is any use for them after the installation is complete. I assume the "synaptic Package Manager" would still know about the packages without the .deb files. If I wanted to install the package again, I would get the latest, new installation files.

So,
1. Can *.deb files be safely removed?
2. If there is a reason to keep them, does it make sense to put them all in /var/cache/apt/archives?
3. Am I the only one that takes housekeeping to such an extent? ;-)

Thanks from the newbee.
Running on Ubuntu 10.10.

zenwalker
February 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
It comes to helpful if your installation is corrupted and needs to be re-installed. Then you dont have to download again. It can use the cache. Also to check the versions installed and needs updation or not stuffs.

Blutkoete
February 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM
By the way: The /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder is cleaned on a regular basis by a cron job (a job that runs ).

You'll find a cron labeled [I]apt in the folder /etc/cron.daily (meaning it's run every day) which you can configure via the (plain text, no GUI) configuration file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02periodic.

You can configure it to delete old packages earlier, but don't change anything if you don't know what you are doing. Read through APTs documentation first as you'll be messing around with the configuration of a standard system maintenance script.

Best regards,

Blutkoete

cve009
March 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM
Thank you for the experienced advice. I will move the .deb files from my home to the standard /var/cache/apt/archives and let crontab eventually remove them.

And I appreciate the intro to crontab.