PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu or kubuntu

anotherdummhead
February 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm planing on buying a laptop, and i was googleing a bit to find out which one of these two is better for me. So basically, everyone says that it's the matter of taste which one is better, but i saw the sys req for both of these, and as far as i can see, kubuntu uses a lot more ram, cpu, and everything, just because of his kde desktop.

so has the kubuntu got anything else to offer besides pretty look, and is it true that it's more demanding than the ubuntu just because of his desktop ? is it more stable, faster, these things i want to know.

Thanks all :)

JC Cheloven
February 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
A matter of opinion/taste/own-experience, really. Here's mine:

If you plan to run a lot of Qt based apps (qt is a graphic library used a lot in kde), it may be worth to use kde, as many dependencies may be already installed.

Other than that, I'd say gnome is a bit more stable and less resource consuming than kde.

But then it's the personal appreciaton about the feel and look... well you can try them both in live. It's cheap ;)

anotherdummhead
February 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Heh, so it varies from user to user, right ? And ofc the peoples tastes :D

EDIT !

IWantFroyo
February 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
It only varies by computer if you plan to use an old system, which you're not going to. What JC Cheloven meant is, are the applications you use qt applications? Example: Do you prefer GEdit or Kate? Okular or the default gnome pdf viewer (I forgot the name).

JC Cheloven
February 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Heh, so it varies from computer to computer, right ?
Mmmm... In every computer kde will be more resource hungry than gnome, and gnome more than lxde. So, I'd say rather it varies from user to user.

For example, a user using gnome and planning to use rosegarden, k3b, traverso, etc, will have to install a lot of dependencies that will be already there with kde. But it's not a strong argument anyway, as disk space is cheap and abundant nowadays, and the apps will run just fine in either desktop environment.

You can even have both kde and gnome (and lxde and xfce &... if you like) in the same ubuntu installation, and choose which one to use at login time. Not my favourite thing (I like it simple), but an option anyway.

JC Cheloven
February 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM
It only varies by computer if you plan to use an old system, which you're not going to. What JC Cheloven meant is, are the applications you use qt applications? Example: Do you prefer GEdit or Kate? Okular or the default gnome pdf viewer (I forgot the name).
Yes, from that POV I also agree with this :)

anotherdummhead
February 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Oh sry for bad expression, yes, i meant exactly that, and i was aiming at that answer :

In every computer kde will be more resource hungry than gnome

So i'm paying in performance for a beauty, but as i can see from your post, kubuntu has it's advantages also.

Anyway thanks for your help.