PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network detection

skt.diaz
February 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM
i use my nokia e71 to connect to d internet. ubuntu doesnt list d connectn in network manager when i connect my phone(usb) before powering on my laptop. though my phone is listed in d output to 'lsusb' in terminal. i hav to restart,wait until login screen appears and then connect d phone for d connection to be listed. anyway to fix this??

TechWiz2100
February 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
try this from terminal while you are booted up with the phone not working
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

vivek.pandey
February 27th, 2011, 06:40 PM
try this from terminal while you are booted up with the phone not working
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

well i guess this command has nothing to do with ubuntu recognising the device . it connects to net through wired network and also start networking is sufficient instead of sudo /etc/init.d/start networking. this works in backtrack

TechWiz2100
February 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
well i guess this command has nothing to do with ubuntu recognising the device . it connects to net through wired network and also start networking is sufficient instead of sudo /etc/init.d/start networking. this works in backtrack

Learned something new today, didn't know init got its own command. However the OP said networking failed to auto detect a new network connection when the device was plugged in but is definitely recognized since the OP also said it appears when they ran lsusb.

The reason I said restart rather than start is because restart forces detection of devices and networking should already be started and running regardless of available connections so I assumed stopping networking would be in order. However you still have to do sudo start networking