PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot install new software

tekwrytr
February 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Downloaded Ubuntu yesterday, wubi on Windows. I go to Software Center, select an app (in this case, NetBeans), click Install. The NetBeans label grays out, an Authentication dialog box pops up. I enter password, click Authenticate. The NetBeans label remains grayed out for three-four minutes, then returns to the normal display. I check for the software, nothing there.

The instructions I am using indicates that when the software is downloaded, the Install button should change to a Remove button (indicating the software has been downloaded). In this case, it simply goes back to the original display (Install) and the Authenticate dialog box stays onscreen. Password is correct. Multiple tries, same result.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
It worth checking first just in-case your "package manager" is having issues.

open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

are there any errors reported? If so, please copy and paste the output and post in a reply here - in [CODE] tags please.

tekwrytr
February 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
It worth checking first just in-case your "package manager" is having issues.

open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

are there any errors reported? If so, please copy and paste the output and post in a reply here - in [CODE] tags please.

There is no JRE and no support for the default language, but nothing else that looks like an error. Last screen (of MANY) is below. Thanks.

Setting up openoffice.org-writer (1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for python-central ...
Setting up openoffice.org-emailmerge (1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1.1) ...
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Please ensure that a JVM and the package openoffice.org-java-common
is installed.
If it is already installed then try removing ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
Copying: mailmerge.py
Enabling: mailmerge.py
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Please ensure that a JVM and the package openoffice.org-java-common
is installed.
If it is already installed then try removing ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml

unopkg done.
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
tekwrytr@ubuntu:~$

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
looks like some updates needed installing.

Can you repeat the update & upgrade steps again - you should get a much smaller output this time since nothing more needs to be downloaded and installed.

If no errors - try installing again from software centre.

deepakjoy
February 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
JDK 5 or 6 is a requirement for Netbeans, maybe thats your problem...

tekwrytr
February 27th, 2011, 07:50 PM
JDK 5 or 6 is a requirement for Netbeans, maybe thats your problem...

I tried downloading a Python IDE and the same thing happened. The label grays out, three-four minutes go by, the label reverts to normal color with Install button. Authenticate dialog box still shows.

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
try running software-centre from the terminal - are there any error messages displayed in the terminal when you are trying to install from software-centre?

run in the terminal session

/usr/bin/software-center

tekwrytr
February 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM
try running software-centre from the terminal - are there any error messages displayed in the terminal when you are trying to install from software-centre?

run in the terminal session

/usr/bin/software-center

Apparently something was wonky with the wubi download. I downloaded the desktop on a thumb drive, set it up on dedicated partition and it works great now. Thanks for the help!