PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install: Ready When you are

Churchwarden
February 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I am installing from a memory stick.

I have arrived at the screen: "Who are you?" and have filled in all the details. The progress bar has reached about 5/6 towards the right hand end and the message above it says "Ready when you are..."

That looks like an invitation to click on the Forward button, but it is greyed out. It seems to have accepted all the information happily (The password is stated to be "Fair", the hard drive is not doing anything but I suppose that it could be downloading something. I did select "Download Upgrades while installing. I can't tell from the screen if the wireless connection is busy but the inactivity of the HD would indicate that it is not.

What do I do now?

Nick

howefield
February 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Check your user name, you aren't allowed capitals. Maybe other things like spaces ect.

Verbeck
February 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
try removing any uppercase characters or spaces from the username field (if there are any)

Churchwarden
February 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hm...

Having fiddled around with that screen for a bit I find that it objected to my user name in the form Nicholas but was happy with nicholas.

Why would this be?

N

Churchwarden
February 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Check your user name, you aren't allowed capitals. Maybe other things like spaces ect.

Thanks Mr Howefield.

N

Quackers
February 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Because capital letters are not allowed in that field.

grahammechanical
February 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
You ask

Why would this be?

Linux, and Unix before it, has always seen a difference between uppercase and lowercase letters. It will see a file name with uppercase letters as a different file from the one with lowercase letters even though the name is the same. Microsoft's operating system has not always made this distinction.

Users do not always see a difference either. People are not trained to know the difference. By insisting on using lowercase letters it stops people complaining that their password is not recognized when they are in fact typing it incorrectly.

The install process would have given you a warning. They are easy to miss. Especially when we are sure that we have done all that is required of us.

Regards.