PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba Issues

li_diver
February 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
A few weeks ago I created a share, and was able to get my Windows workstation to connect to it. Last weekend, it stopped working. I know that I let Ubuntu install some software upgrades. but I didn't see any that should impact this.

I can ping my Ws from my laptop and vice-versa, but when I try to connect from windows it won't connect. It acts as though I had typed an incorrect password, but I am certain I didn't. I hope someone can give me some ideas on how to resolve this.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10. The Windows laptop is running XP.

Jogga484
February 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Have you enabled a firewall on the Ubuntu machine?

" The module for netbios-ns (UDP port 137) is not loaded by default. You must turn it on for Samba to penetrate the ufw firewall"

If this is not the case, perhaps a Windows update has changed your security settings?

li_diver
February 27th, 2011, 04:05 PM
No, If firewall is not enabled by default, I did not enable it (although, I guess I should). Highly unlikely it has anything to do with Windows settings. I don't even have auto updates turned on on that machine.

Morbius1
February 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Please post the output of the following commands:

net usershare info --long

testparm -s

li_diver
February 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Interesting. The command output is:

net usershare info --long

info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/l is not a well formed usershare file.
info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.

Actually, I am sharing my Windows (this machine dual boots) drive, and the share is set up as the entire drive.

root@RJAWS:/home/rich# testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[l]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[l]
path = /media/FantomHD
valid users = rich
browseable = No

Does this help?

Morbius1
February 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
There's a couple of issues here.

There are two ways to use samba to share folders and you are using both methods apparently at the same time on the same target folder.

This is a Samba Classic-share:

[l]
path = /media/FantomHD
valid users = rich
browseable = NoBut you also have an error message from the other method called Usershare or Nautilus-share:

info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/l is not a well formed usershare file.
info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.That error implies that the target directory does not exist. Did you try to share /media/FantomHD through nautilus? If so it would appear that FantomHD is not mounted.

I'm a big fan of Nautilus-share but in this case I would get rid of the share. You can go into Nautilus and right-click > Sharing Options on that folder and just "unshare" it.

That will leave you with the Classic share and you may have a problem with the "valid users = rich" line depending on how you set up the password because of a package that ubuntu slipped into the latest install named: libpam-smbpass.

If you created an smbpasswd for rich that does not match your login password ( BTW, this is what every user should do - you don't want an smbpasswd = login password ) libpam-smbpass will override the smbpasswd with the login password.

If this is the case then you have two choices:
- Login into the remote share with rich's login password.
- Remove libpam-smbpass:

sudo apt-get remove libpam-smbpassI remove it on my own system since I can't figure out any circumstance where that would be a desirable feature.

li_diver
March 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Morbius, That gives me something to start with at least. I am away from my system right now, and won't be able to try anything until Friday, but I will look into it then.

I believe I do have 2 different shares of the same thing, at one point the share justseemed to "unshare" itself, so I think I tried both ways.

I think your second point may be the issue, though, since everything did work until the last upgrade, altthough, I was using my login password as my share password, so if I'm reading that right it should still have worked. In any case, I will try removing that package and see what happens.

Thanks again.