PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with dual booting, are there any

Eastwood1
February 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I am getting a new Tower PC with I3 Motherboard 2G Ram and 1T harddisc. On my old PC 70G HD and Dual booting Ubuntu and XP I had problems with booting. When you select XP the booting went into a cycle where you had to choose safe mode booting etc. When you chose safe mode it went back to the original choice XP or UBUNTU. Choosing Ubuntu (Bootingwith Ubuntu) no problem. Now my IT expert wants to install Ubuntu as Virtual computer. I want to gradually get away from MS for obvious reasons. Are there any problems with the Dual booting?:confused:

emoguitarist06
February 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
There's no problems with dual booting
but there seems to be a problem with your "old pc"
And I couldn't say on how to fix it :(

but as far as in general is no problems with dual booting, I'm triple booting actually :)

LewRockwellFAN
February 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
No. I have 5 OSs booting just fine now and I'm trying to get Clonezilla going as a bootable partition also. On your older comp, the problem is obviously with the Windows installation, not the boot process per se although I'll admit it may be that dual booting is making it a little less easy to boot Windows in safe mode. If you want to bother with it, I'm pretty sure there is some hot key you can hold down at some point in the Windows boot process that will cause it to boot in safe mode. I'd read the manual if you have one, that is if MS hasn't quit printing manuals completely. Or google "Windows XP" "safe mode" "hot key" for instance and try other synonyms and combinations. If I had to guess on the basis of a hazy memory I think it's F8. Might be a bit tricky as to exactly when to press it and how long to hold it. Experiment if scroogle doesn't give you an answer. Alternately if XP and Ubuntu are on different drives, you might try booting with only the XP drive connected. Probably won't work but worth a try I'd think. If you have the installation disk, you could of course just reinstall. Then you'll need to look for one of the many threads on "How to fix grub after installing Windows trashes it so I can't boot my perfectly good linux". For future reference, if you had kept your Windows installation and program files on a separate partition from your data and used Clonezilla to back it up to an image on the data partition, restoring the image would only take about 5 minutes and you'd be good to go without borking grub.

seawolf167
February 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I've been dual booting for years without problems.

Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot)is the Ubuntu guide