PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] changing from windows to ubantu

nashkan
February 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
My system ..... Compaq Persario...AMD Athlon (tm) 64 processer 3800+... 241 GH2 960 MB of RAM ......... System Microsoft Windows XP.... Media Center Edition.... Version 2002 .... service pack 2 ..............................
my computer keeps crashing and I am getting very frustrated... I have restored it so many time that I have low disk space on (D) and now on RP (H) and now nothing will work,,,,,, (all previous restarts are suspended) so I can not remove all the duplicuts... Is there a way to DUMP all of Windows (keeping my pics and files) and converting over to Ubuntu? so I can free up all of my space? PLEASE help me!!!

emoguitarist06
February 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
You're question is kind of vague but I hope this helps

I absolutely recommend dumping windows for Ubuntu
but if you're extremely new to Ubuntu than I'd recommend dual-booting
when installing Ubuntu it'll give the option to "install side by side" with Windows

However, if you just want full ubuntu, you can always back up your music/pictures to an external and then install Ubuntu (during the installation process it'll have the option to "erase and use entire disk)

Miss. Dobson
February 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM
When you are restoring you mean using a back up right and not doing a clean reinstall right?

Now before I continue I just want to say I'm just bringing this idea out here. Take it or leave it.

I would just make sure your crashing's are OS/software specific and not hardware. Without going too deep into windows tech support here; if windows is crashing there's a reason behind it. If it's software related then you're fine since you're moving OSs, but if it's hardware then you'll still have issues.

Better to rule things out then to move OSs and still have issues :popcorn:

Ben Page
February 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
if windows is crashing there's a reason behind it. If it's software related then you're fine since you're moving OSs, but if it's hardware then you'll still have issues.
:popcorn:
What she said ;)

If you can still boot to Windows, get a USB thumb drive, or external HDD and copy all of your files you want to keep and then wipe the drive clean with Ubuntu Live CD (when installing, Ubuntu offers to do this for you). Then you can start over with Ubuntu - clean slate.

emoguitarist06
February 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I would just make sure your crashing's are OS/software specific and not hardware.

I also agree. However I've gotten a lot more life out of failing hardware on Ubuntu than on Windows. In fact I had a Compaq Presario that would shutdown because of of how hot the video card got under Windows but never did under Ubuntu (basic web browsing and stuff, I'm not a gamer)