PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help setting up dual monitors

bug67
February 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I have a single nvidia 9500 gt running both of my 1920 x 1200 monitors. Everything is kinda fine except when I re-boot or log out/in. When I do one of those, I get a pop-up that says:

Could not apply the stored settings for monitors.
x server does not support size requested

I, for the life of me can't figure it out. I've started the nvidia settings in root and all my settings seem to be saving correctly. Both monitors show 1920 x 1200 every time I check.

Also, is there a way I can set separate desktop images on each screen? I have a Hubble image that spans both screens (3840 x 1200). I'd like to cut it in half and put each half on one side.

Thanks.

sowelie
February 27th, 2011, 04:57 AM
What driver are you using? I would recommend using the proprietary driver from nVidia. You always get the best performance from their driver. Also, their display settings tool works very well. I have had no trouble with my dual 27" displays using the same video card on that driver.

bug67
February 27th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I am using the nvidia driver.

sowelie
February 27th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Are you using their display settings to set the configuration? If so, there is a button you have to click to save your configuration to the xorg config file. Make sure you get the settings right and then hit that button, obviously you have to run the tool as root.

bug67
February 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Here is how I have them set. Don't let the "Apple Cinema Display" say anything. I recently acquired them at a good deal so, I am using them. There isn't a Mac attached. ;)

bug67
February 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Bump with a question...

When I go to save my settings, there is a check mark for "merge with existing xorg file." Should I be merging or overwriting all together? At this point, should I return everything to defaults and start over? Or, would I be better served by adding a 2nd 9500 gt? They're cheap enough...

TechWiz2100
February 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I think you can set them to "separate X sessions" and that will allow you to put down 2 wallpapers but I don't think it will function like a "dual monitor" set up.

Also about the config file, manually back it up from terminal or something and then overwrite. The old config settings may potentially be clashing with the new mods from nVidia's tool.

bug67
February 28th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I dunno. Wish someone could help me out with this. The only "issue" really is that I get the message:

Could not apply the stored settings for monitors.
x server does not support size requested

On the upper right corner of the right hand monitor. Also, I have some Screenlets set to auto start. They are also placed on the right monitor. They do not auto-start, however. I have to manually relaunch them every time I log back in or re-boot. Once everything is set, everything works great. It's just when I'm re-start my x-session.

Here's a copy of my xorg.conf file. It doesn't look to me like more than one monitor is even showing up in it. I could be way wrong though. I have no idea what I'm looking at.

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 260.19.06 (buildd@palmer) Mon Oct 4 16:01:38 UTC 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Apple Cinema HD"
HorizSync 74.0 - 74.6
VertRefresh 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9500 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

TechWiz2100
February 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I can't see anything wrong with your config... check to see if you have any old drivers that are attempting to use the xorg.conf file like the open source nvidia drivers or maybe some generic X11 drivers. That could be the issue.

bug67
February 28th, 2011, 04:43 AM
How do I find out if anything is conflicting or if I am indeed using the correct driver in the first place?

TechWiz2100
February 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=57368

Maybe one of these will be of assistance to you, more specifically the 1st and last