PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any tips on reinstalling Ubuntu

NotSoheavyD
February 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM
So besides missing drive space now my install of Ubuntu 10.04 is completely hosed. (Basically upgraded from 9.10 and the upgrade messed it up. Can't say I'm surprised, I had heard how brittle linux is.) Anyway is there any guide out there that can give me some tips about doing a reinstall. (I'll probably go for 10.10 at this point.) Basically I figure I'll just blow away the previous install and start from scratch.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 01:46 AM
... Can't say I'm surprised, I had heard how brittle linux is...

When asking for help/guidance, these are not the best choice of words.

For reinstalling, will Ubuntu be the only OS, or do you have in mind a dual-boot situation with Windows?

If Ubuntu will be the only OS the drive can be wiped clean and 3 partitions can be made for a nice install('/', 'Swap' & '/home').

If you want to dual boot, you will need t clean up your hard drive first to get rid of the mish-mash of partitions you have (as I recall from on your earlier thread).

Which way do you want to install?

seawolf167
February 27th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot) is a dual boot guide

Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/i386/index.html) is a Ubuntu installation guide

Let us know if you have any specific questions or concerns when reinstalling

josephmills
February 27th, 2011, 03:23 AM
go take a look at this http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download hope it helps:)

NotSoheavyD
February 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM
When asking for help/guidance, these are not the best choice of words.

For reinstalling, will Ubuntu be the only OS, or do you have in mind a dual-boot situation with Windows?

If Ubuntu will be the only OS the drive can be wiped clean and 3 partitions can be made for a nice install('/', 'Swap' & '/home').

If you want to dual boot, you will need t clean up your hard drive first to get rid of the mish-mash of partitions you have (as I recall from on your earlier thread).

Which way do you want to install?

That's true. Just a little annoyed that I managed to hose my install because I did an upgrade.(Very strange, somehow I got to the point I can log in but now it won't recognize a mouse.)

Anyway it was and will be a dual boot computer. (With Windows.) I'll have to look over the guides mentioned in other posts in this topic.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM
The key to a good reinstall of Ubuntu in a dual boot situation is to (in this order):

1) Get windows to boot without Grub (FIXMBR in XP, bootrec /FixMbr in Vista and Windows 7)

2) THEN delete all the Ubuntu paritions

3) Finally, reinstall Ubuntu manually and control the creation of partitions ('/', 'Swap','/home').

After that, I think most of your issues will stop.

:KS

NotSoheavyD
February 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
The key to a good reinstall of Ubuntu in a dual boot situation is to (in this order):

1) Get windows to boot without Grub (FIXMBR in XP, bootrec /FixMbr in Vista and Windows 7)

2) THEN delete all the Ubuntu paritions

3) Finally, reinstall Ubuntu manually and control the creation of partitions ('/', 'Swap','/home').

After that, I think most of your issues will stop.

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Well actually I think I'll do a test run install in a virtual environment so I can practice this first.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Well actually I think I'll do a test run install in a virtual environment so I can practice this first.

+1

I have found testing in a VMware or Vbox virutal machine to be a great tool for learning without hammering the main system.

I have 12 Vbox images (Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit, Dual boot Ubuntu with XP and Win 7, XP and Win7 straight, other Linux dustros).

I use Virtual Box, and have a 'before' save by exporting the machine as a virtual appliance. That way I can put it back after I change it/screw it up.