PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Partitioning questions

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I dual boot Ubuntu 10.10 with Windows 7. When I started with Ubuntu, I was planning to only give it a little bit of room because I was only going to mess around with it sometimes. Little did I know that I would come to use it nearly exclusively!

Because the partition for Ubuntu is pretty small, I've started getting low disk space warnings. I used the live CD and fired up GParted to adjust the partitions. I shrank the Windows partition down to make more room for Ubuntu and it is here that I'm having problems. I can't make the Ubuntu partition larger than it already is. There are also two large gray bars in GParted that say "unallocated space." I would like to be able to use that space for Ubuntu instead, but I'm not sure how to do this, as looking at the unallocated space in GParted gives me no other option than to make a new partition. (I don't think I want to do this. I just want to use the unallocated space for an existing partition.)

Can this be done? Advice?

Thanks.
Lisa

Mark Phelps
February 27th, 2011, 12:51 AM
You'll be lucky if you can now get back into Win7. Shrinking the parition with Gparted is asking for trouble.

As for your partitioning question, there is not nearly enough information to answer that.

At the least, open a terminal and enter "sudo fdisk -lu" (that's a lowercase L, not a one). That will list out the partitions on your drive.

seawolf167
February 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM
You'll want to resize the Ubuntu partition into the unallocated space - note that the unallocated space needs to be "next to" the partition you wish to resize.

As noted by Mark Phelps, it is suggested that you use the built in Windows partition editors or another Windows-specific program to resize Windows partitions to ensure that everything goes smoothly.

Here (http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted) is a GParted how-to

Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions) is a resize windows partitions how to

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the help and advice. I confess that I didn't realize the inherent dangers in resizing Windows partitions with Gparted, but luck seems to be with me, as the Windows partition is fine.

I'll try to provide more information about the partitions:

lisa@lisa-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders, total 312500000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd0000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 80324 40131 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 81920 21053439 10485760 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 * 21053440 164560895 71753728 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 205037719 312496379 53729330+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 205037721 239689799 17326039+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 239689863 241296299 803218+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 309476223 312496379 1510078+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00097991

/dev/sdb1 2048 976773119 488385536 b W95 FAT32

As far as I can tell, the unallocated space is indeed next to the Ubuntu partition.

I'll do some more reading about using Gparted. In the meantime, any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Best,
Lisa

el_koraco
February 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 02:14 AM
... There are also two large gray bars in GParted that say "unallocated space." I would like to be able to use that space for Ubuntu instead, but I'm not sure how to do this, as looking at the unallocated space in GParted gives me no other option than to make a new partition...

Lisa,

Having JUST done this myself two days ago, the reason you cannot enlarge your Ubuntu partition is because it is sitting inside an 'extended' partition that must be enlarged first.

The extended partition is /dev/sda4 and then the partitions that follow it are 'indented'. That means they live inside the extended partition.

If you look at your drive with the disk utility (go look right now, I will wait...) you will see that there is a long extended partition shown above the Ubuntu partition.

Enlarge that one first, and the rest will work like you were expecting!

:KS

p.s. I went from 150gig to 700gig for Ubuntu this week!

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 02:23 AM
/dev/sda1 63 80324 40131 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 81920 21053439 10485760 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 * 21053440 164560895 71753728 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 205037719 312496379 53729330+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 205037721 239689799 17326039+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 239689863 241296299 803218+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 309476223 312496379 1510078+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

As a note - primary/base partitions are always 1-4.

Any partition number 5 or higher lives in an extended partition.

Lisa - you have 2 swap partitions. (sda6 & sda7). You only need one.

samacaster
February 27th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Win7 is fine after a resize with Gparted. It'll run its chkdsk funtion on startup to realign -if you will- everything. The drawback is that on an NTFS sytem this creates fragmentation. When next in Win7 I would recommend a Defrag.

As Hedgehog said, you do not need two swap partitions.

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hello to all and thanks much for the help!

I have zero idea how I ended up with two swap partitions. Is this something I need to fix?

I did look at the partitions with the disk utility, as suggested. (Screenshot attached, just in case!) I can see that the Ubuntu stuff is under the 55 GB extended partition. (And yes, its a very small hard drive that's many years old at this point. I have a second hard drive of 500 GB, as well, but Ubuntu is on the small hard drive.) So, do I understand correctly that I need to extend /dev/sda4?

Many thanks!

Best,
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 02:41 AM
So, do I understand correctly that I need to extend /dev/sda4?

Yes - that is your first step.

Once it is expanded, you can them move/expand /dev/sda5

By the way - you can still reach this web site using the browser on the liveCD as you wait for things to be moved around by gparted (so we are still available).

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Win7 is fine after a resize with Gparted. It'll run its chkdsk funtion on startup to realign -if you will- everything. The drawback is that on an NTFS sytem this creates fragmentation. When next in Win7 I would recommend a Defrag.

This has been my experience as well - defrag before you shrink an NTFS partition with gparted and you should be fine.

Backups are always a good idea - you might lose power during the move or kick the plug or - well - these things happen (ask me how I know - no - don't ask. Really.).

Thanks samacaster!

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Ha. This (kicking the power plug, etc.) sounds like me on a good day! :P

Nevertheless, the Windows stuff is backed up, so if I completely mess it up, at least I will not be sobbing.

Anyways, I'm writing from my laptop and looking at my desktop, the latter of which is the one I'm trying to arrange the partitions on. I've run into the first problem: when I select dev/sda4, I can't resize it, as GParted says that its is Busy (at least one logical partition mounted). As I'm running GParted from the live CD, I don't really see how its possible that there's a partition mounted.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Ha. This (kicking the power plug, etc.) sounds like me on a good day! :P

Nevertheless, the Windows stuff is backed up, so if I completely mess it up, at least I will not be sobbing.

Anyways, I'm writing from my laptop and looking at my desktop, the latter of which is the one I'm trying to arrange the partitions on. I've run into the first problem: when I select dev/sda4, I can't resize it, as GParted says that its is Busy (at least one logical partition mounted). As I'm running GParted from the live CD, I don't really see how its possible that there's a partition mounted.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Lisa

It likely got mounted when you were looking it things on the disk.

Right click on the partition in gparted and select 'unmount'.

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Ay, no joy. The option to unmount dev/sda 4 is grayed out and un-selectable.

Also, it looks like one of the two swap partitions is sitting between my dev/sda5 and the unallocated space that I want to extend the sda4 into. Keep or delete?

Thanks for the persistent help.

Best,
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Ay, no joy. The option to unmount dev/sda 4 is grayed out and un-selectable.

Also, it looks like one of the two swap partitions is sitting between my dev/sda5 and the unallocated space that I want to extend the sda4 into. Keep or delete?

Thanks for the persistent help.

Best,
Lisa

This is where things can get difficult - I can't see over you shoulder.

If you have booted from the LiveCD - you can unmount drive partitions.

If you cannot unmount hard drive partitions, then that tells me you are running off the hard drive and not the CD.

So I have to ask - are you SURE you really booted off the CD? :confused:

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Wait a moment:

You may have to unmount sda5, sda6 and sda7 first before you can unmount the parent partition of sda4.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Keep one - delete the other. Don't know which on should be deleted, we can fix that in the fstab file later if you delete the wrong one.

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Hi,

I checked all seven of the partitions and not one with an option to dismount.

Not sure what to do now.

Thanks.
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Old saying: Take two reboots and call me in the morning...

Do this - Reboot on the liveCD go directly to Gparted - don't look at the hard drive any other way first.

Then none should be mounted, and you can follow the original plan. I hope. [-o<

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hi Hedge!
I am following this one looks like fun :D

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I generally find that rebooting is the most logical thing to do when you're about out of options, but still no dice in this case.

Here's my thought: what if I reinstall Ubuntu? Do you think I would be able to change the partitions on the installer?

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Many thanks.
Best,
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Yup - waiting for data to get moved is like watching paint dry...

I had to move 640 gigs to a new 1 tb drive a few mights ago, using ddrescue as I had some bad sectors on the source drive.

Luckily, I had no finished watching the Daytona 500 - so that gave me something fun to do...

Here is my gparted picture after:

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Lisa,

Before you uninstall a dual-boot system, you first have to boot on the windows rescue CD and do the FIXMBR.

Otherwise you cannot boot into windows again after deleting the Ubuntu partitions from Windows disk manager.

Do you know how to do that? If so, and uninstall is a perfectly reasonable thing.

This time you can manually control your partitions, too.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Here is the crash course:

http://ubuntuhedgehog.weebly.com/uploads/6/4/4/9/6449410/5151606.png?619

http://ubuntuhedgehog.weebly.com/uploads/6/4/4/9/6449410/2756040.png?559

http://ubuntuhedgehog.weebly.com/uploads/6/4/4/9/6449410/1433690.png?753

Now when you reboot, you come up directly in Windows 7, no grub menu.

**THEN** you can delete all the Ubuntu partitions.

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM
You know in Gparted you can turn off swap partitions. Since the swap partition is in the extended partition you might need to do that.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM
You know in Gparted you can turn off swap partitions. Since the swap partition is in the extended partition you might need to do that.

And where were you when I needed you????

I did not know that. Is this what is catching Lisa out?

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:20 AM
And where were you when I needed you????

I did not know that. Is this what is catching Lisa out?

Could be I just resized my swap file as a test, but first turn swap off with two I would delete the one between Ubuntu partition and the free space.

normally swap is like 2X ram.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Could be I just resized my swap file as a test, but first turn swap off with two I would delete the one between Ubuntu partition and the free space.

normally swap is like 2X ram.

This is weird (well, for a hedgehog, anyway) because i do this all the time, and once I am booted from the CD or USB stick, I can change any partition any way I like on the hard drive.

There is something we are assuming, that Lisa doesn't know we are assuming.

But what....

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:27 AM
LIsa is booting from CD but I think the swap files are still enabled to swap if ram gets low. It really would not hurt to turn swap off delete both swap files and create one after the Ubuntu partition is expanded.

Miljet
February 27th, 2011, 06:28 AM
When you boot a live CD, if it finds a swap partition, it will automatically use it. Since the swap, or in this case both swaps, are a part of the extended partition that you are trying to resize, swap has to be turned off.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Cool - so can you tell Lisa (and me) how we turn off swap?

I run 12 gigs of ram - so I never really hit the swap space...

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Lisa are you sure you are using Gparted the screenshot was taken from disk utility? You have 2 areas of free space.

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Cool - so can you tell Lisa (and me) how we turn off swap?

I run 12 gigs of ram - so I never really hit the swap space...

Sure go to Gparted and check on the swap file Under partition swap off option.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Sure go to Gparted and check on the swap file Under partition swap off option.

See - that was MUCH too easy.

No wonder I never noticed it.

Thanks!

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
See - that was MUCH too easy.

No wonder I never noticed it.

Thanks!

By the way this village is better off with you around.. I like your style.. Hope Lisa responds back soon. I really think perhaps Lisa was using the disk utility (maybe not) but the screenshot was disk utility.

Hedge do you have Gparted installed in your working Ubuntu?

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I do have it installed, yes.

I am (at this instant) working from a new 'Ubuntu-on-a-stick' bootable USB stick.

I am working through the 274 updates...

Did you want me to try something? :confused:

So this car battery goes into a Bar. The bartender says to it: 'You can stay, but don't you start nothing!'

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I do have it installed, yes.

I am (at this instant) working from a new 'Ubuntu-on-a-stick' bootable USB stick.

I am working through the 274 updates...

Did you want me to try something? :confused:

So this car battery goes into a Bar. The bartender says to it: 'You can stay, but don't you start nothing!'

No not really after the regular install most user don't go get Gparted but I thought you might. Just curious.. Guess Lisa called it a night I am about to do the same..

I still think she was using disk utility instead of Gparted. OUT

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I'm going to shut down now too.

Great working with you (and Lisa too!)

:popcorn:

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Good morning to all! Thanks for all of the help and responses!

The screenshot I attached was indeed taken with Disk Utility from the Ubuntu installation on my hard drive. I've been using GParted from the Live CD to try (unsuccessfully so far) to change the partitions.

It seems from the discussion here that the swap between the two partitions may be the culprit. It sounds like I need to use GParted from the live CD and turn it off and then try to extend the paritions?

I'm backing up all my data in case something goes bad wrong.

Many thanks.
Lisa

llmunro
February 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
SUCCESS!!!!!

Here's what I had to do:
I turned both swaps off, which then allowed me the option of resizing dev/sda4. I attempted to extend it into the 19.30 GB unallocated space that you can see on the GParted screenshot I've attached here. I kept getting an error message that this wasn't possible, so I decided to get brave and just delete one of the swaps, the one sitting between the dev/sda5 and the other unallocated space. This allowed me to extend dev/sda5 from 18 GB or so to 35. I suppose I'll probably have to revisit this problem and figure out the error message about dev/sda4 when I run out of disk space again, but in the meantime, I at least have some new disk space! Hooray!

I love Ubuntu. I learn at least ten things about it every day.

Many thanks to all who brainstormed to help me figure this out. I salute you all!

Best,
Lisa

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I also learned something, too: Once you have a couple of swap spaces, things can get unpredictable.

When you feel brave again, you can extend your partitions to use all the extra space.

No hurry, though. We will be here when you need us.

nm_geo
February 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I had a feeling Lisa would get it solved with the information we provided. C U both around the Village.