PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Checking for 3D Acceleration

joe1363
February 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Greetings,
How do you check if you have 3D acceleration enabled? I'm still a noob when it comes to linux/ubuntu so I don't where to check or if I even have anything installed. I have an old graphics card, an ATI Mobility Radeon X300, which is no longer supported by ATI. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. Thank you.

acrazyplayer
February 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM
try to enable desktop effects, that for me is the easiest way.

go to system, preferences, appearance, then go to the tab "visual effects" and choose the bottom option, if it works then you have acceleration.

Mark Phelps
February 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I have an old graphics card, an ATI Mobility Radeon X300, which is no longer supported by ATI. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. Thank you.
You will get little, if any, 3D acceleration -- and with a card this old, there are no drivers you can install that will change that.

joe1363
February 27th, 2011, 01:05 AM
You will get little, if any, 3D acceleration -- and with a card this old, there are no drivers you can install that will change that. I figured that might be the case. Yesterday I came across this page mentioning xorg-driver-fglrx.

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/graphics-cards.html#video-acceleration-introduction

This page is pretty dated, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if this can be of any help. Like mentioned above, I doubt it will but I'd just like to check.