PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] KDE question

Razorback
February 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I wanted to look at the KDE environment and installed the base package out of synaptic. All went fine but I cannot find where you setup network connections. I have both nic and wireless but use wireless on this desktop pc. Do I need additional KDE downloads to get this feature?

Razorback
February 26th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Anyone?

SeijiSensei
February 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
There should be a networking icon in the system tray. If you don't see one, try configuring your network via System Settings > Network Connections.

Usually the network manager widget is automatically installed into the system tray, but I don't know what happens if you put KDE on top of a standard GNOME installation. I never install vanilla Ubuntu, only Kubuntu where the network management icon appears by default. You could try booting a Kubuntu Live DVD (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/maverick/release/) to see if the icon appears that way.

You might try right-clicking on the System Tray itself and choosing Panel Options > Add Widgets, then double-clicking the Network Management widget to add it to the tray.

Razorback
February 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
As of now, I uninstalled all KDE components but will give it a try later and use your suggestions. I just wasn't sure if there was a better selection in Synaptic for installing KDE. I like the way it looks but also like Gnome.

inobe
February 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM
what do you mean by base package, kubuntu-desktop?

Razorback
February 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I believe it was KDE base. There was also KDE minimal. I installed the KDE base.

Razorback
March 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
Installed kubuntu desktop through synaptic and it took care of my issues.