PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ethernet Connection Issue

what-is-a-computer?
February 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have a wired ethernet connection, "auto eth6." It's plugged into a router, and right now it is set on "Automatic (DHCP). I want to set the "method" to "manual" under the IPv4 Settings under Sys/Pref/Network Connections. I want a static IP address.

The green checkmark is grayed out and I cannot change it. Why? Help, please.

Thank you.

seawolf167
February 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
See if there is an "unlock" button or image of a key in that window (usually in the lower-right). You'll need to click that and enter your password before you can change those settings.

Just in case you want to do it via command line/config file editing, here (http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1669) is a how-to link for that.

what-is-a-computer?
February 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
thank you so much. I'll try that on Monday at work.

what-is-a-computer?
February 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
No, there is no unlock button.

It makes me put the password in when I attempt to change the VPN connections. Once I put in a password, then I can edit the auto eth6. Then I click on pciv (something or other) and I go go "manual."

It is there, the green checkmark, until I change the DHCP (or whatever those letters are) to "manual." I put in the address and the netmask. the checkmark will not go to green. It's grayed out. So I cannot apply the change.

Any ideas?

seawolf167
March 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
See if you can do it manually by editing the config files per the link I posted above. Its pretty easy, you just enter the info in the file then save & restart networking

what-is-a-computer?
March 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM
This has been resolved. The only reason I'm going to own up to my error and post this is because there may be someone out there as clueless as I am (probably not) with computers who's in the same boat I'm in: A sinking vessel.

When I went to the IPv4 settings and clicked on "manual," I then clicked on the first square which is "address." I filled in the static IP address. I then clicked on the word "netmask" and then "add." It opened up a square underneath the first address and that's where I typed in "255.255.255.0."

I finally figured out it went to the side, not underneath; that you just click to the right of the address you just filled in. Do not click on the word "netmask." It's in the empty space to the right. Once I put the "255" to the right side of the address, it filled in the gateway automatically and then up popped the green checkmark so that I could apply it.

Thank you for trying to help me, seawolf. I'm a lost cause. I usually figure it out, though, by just pushing buttons and trying and trying. Not a good place to be.

Now you know why I'm "what-is-a-computer?"