PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] why does PC hang?

granmed
February 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My PC has dual operating systems, Windows XP and Ubuntu-10.10.

In both of them the PC hangs within 10-15 minutes even if I do not put
any memory intensive job. What could be the reason(s)?

Thanks.

cascade9
February 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Overheating, power supply issues, bad RAM, bad drivers, random hardware breakage....take your pick.

EpiLePTiC FaiRY
February 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Do you have any hardware monitoring tools to check temperatures? You should run a memtest (it'll be on your installation CDROM) and see if it dies doing that. I would definitely borrow a PSU for test purposes if it's a desktop if the above comes up peachy.

granmed
March 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Do you have any hardware monitoring tools to check temperatures? You should run a memtest (it'll be on your installation CDROM) and see if it dies doing that. I would definitely borrow a PSU for test purposes if it's a desktop if the above comes up peachy.

Thanks for your reply.
I did memory testing. It passed with no errors.
However, in Windows using "PC helth advisor"
software, I found several suggestions, like registry
clean up, disk defragmentation, remove temporary files,
driver updates, etc. But the software is not free.

granmed
March 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Overheating, power supply issues, bad RAM, bad drivers, random hardware breakage....take your pick.

Thanks for your reply.
However, in Windows using "PC helth advisor"
software, I found several suggestions, like registry
clean up, disk defragmentation, remove temporary files,
driver updates, etc. But the software is not free.

cascade9
March 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
If you are getting the same problem with windows and a linux distro, the its not software, its hardware.

mastablasta
March 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your reply.

hello, i suggest you open up the box and see if any device has bulged capacitors (check motherboard and graphcis card):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

they should be flat on top.

next thing to do is to see the temperature. you can use SpeedFan software in windows to do that.

If any component is overheating you can first try to clean the heatsink with vacuum cleaner as well as fans (if you use laptop blow some compressed air in it or use vacouum cleaner set not too high).

hope this helps. this is definatelly ahardware issue but it's hard to say what it is without actually opening it up.