PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The start up screen

irishy
February 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Help please I am struggling to clear some of the list on the screen that lists what operating system I want to start up ie windows or ubuntu I now have many versions of ubuntu listed
I hope this makes sense

Anton K
February 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM
To clear the list of available OS you can follow these ways, that are not mutually excluded - you can use them all together:

Remove old/unused kernels
To find out the kernel you're using at the present moment you can use next command:

uname -r
Then go to Synaptic and remove packages of unused concrete kernels. Their names will look like this:
linux-image-<version>-generic, for instance linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic.
Package named linux-image-generic better leave installed.

Disable Linux recovery (for Grub)
Uncomment the following line in /etc/default/grub (need root privileges):

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"Then update Grub:

sudo update-grub2
Uninstall memtest
Remove package named memtest86+:

sudo apt-get remove memtest86+

grahammechanical
February 26th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I installed a little Utility called Grub Customizer. It lets you hide some of the entries (lines) in the Grub menu. It does other things as well. Here is the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10340183#post10340183

Regards.

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I installed a little Utility called Grub Customizer. It lets you hide some of the entries (lines) in the Grub menu. It does other things as well. Here is the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10340183#post10340183

Regards.

sorry to post here but i followed your steps but got an error message while installing in synaptic. here is the message

E: cherokee: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
E: libcherokee-mod-rrd: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

irishy
February 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Thank you all very much my problem is now resolved