PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] console-ation question!!!!!!!

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 06:56 AM
hi everyone

i have ubuntu 10.10 and a 3g usb modem. my question is how can i connect to internet from the console window and not gui. for gui i just need to configure the modem by entering providers nsme and the plan. also /etc/init.d/start networking or simply start networking wont work. i guess it works for wired network
thanx to all

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
any help?

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
????????/

realzippy
February 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Configure:

sudo pppoeconf

Start

pon dsl-provider

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Configure:

sudo pppoeconf

Start

pon dsl-provider

sorry but it didnt work
when i typed sudo pppoeconf it started to scan devices found walan0 vboxnet and eth0 but after scanning it displayed message that it couldnot find the interface or something sorry i dont remember exact message

pi.boy.travis
February 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've looked everywhere, and I honestly don't think there's a TTY utility to configure 3G modems(without considerable difficulty). You can connect to the internet with the 3G modem with the GUI, then use Alt+F1 to switch to a TTY.

donkyhotay
February 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Something in linux that can be done with a GUI but not in the CLI? I don't believe it (unless the software is proprietary). I'd check the man pages for the program you use to connect, it should have CLI switches in there for connecting without GUI. I'm not certain since I don't use a modem myself.

pi.boy.travis
February 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Something in linux that can be done with a GUI but not in the CLI? I don't believe it (unless the software is proprietary). I'd check the man pages for the program you use to connect, it should have CLI switches in there for connecting without GUI. I'm not certain since I don't use a modem myself.

I checked the man pages for the network-manager CLI interface, and there doesn't seem to be any way to access networ-manager's interfacing with PPPoE. There is a CLI interface for that, but the OP said they tried it and it didn't work for them. . . :confused:

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
well i guess there would be some way else how people using unix which is only cui get access to net?

pi.boy.travis
February 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
well i guess there would be some way else how people using unix which is only cui get access to net?

Any other kind of interface can be brought up easily:

sudo service network start

It's the 3G modem that has me stumped. . . :/

vivek.pandey
February 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Any other kind of interface can be brought up easily:

sudo service network start

It's the 3G modem that has me stumped. . . :/

i guess sudo start networking also does same as the command you gave

pi.boy.travis
February 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
i guess sudo start networking also does same as the command you gave

Yep, they're both interfaces to Upstart.

uRock
February 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
any help?

????????/
Please wait 24 hours before bumping your thread.

Thank you for your kind consideration,
uRock