PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hard drive choice - new installtion

TCMGO
February 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I need some help in thinking through which primary hard drive I should use for a dual boot setup (XP & Ubuntu). I would like to keep the two operations systems on a separate drive apart from the programs and data, as past experience with various crashes has taught me to avoid keeping all my eggs on one hard drive.

I thought about using an 80 GB Western Digital WD800 (SATA) drive made in 2004 for the OS drive, but perhaps it is too old and prone to crash, though it tests healthy. I do have a new Western Digital (black caviar) drive, but it is 560 GB, which I thought to use for the programs and data drive. I hate to use it for the OS drive, but my current economic situation prevents me from just going out and buying more hard drives. Would using a drive made in 2004 be too much of a risk? Any suggested work arounds?

fjgaude
February 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM
If the drive hasn't been used too much or in raid array I would think it is okay to use. Anyway, if it fails it is easy to re-install the OSs. Your data is on the newer drive so you should be okay... but, and there is always a 'but', I'd still backup my important data onto DVDs or onto another drive or two.

TCMGO
February 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
The drive was setup for a short while on a raid array, but has since been reformatted as a backup drive. What will having been used in an array cause it to be less reliable?

cascade9
February 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Unless you are really low on storage sapce, use the WD Caviar Black for at least on of the OSes.

A newer, bigger SATA drive will outrun the old 80GB drive easily, and that will make some difference to booting speeds, program loading times, etc.

If it was me I'd run XP on the 80GB drive, and run a linux distro on the WD.

ronnielsen1
February 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM
If it was me I'd run XP on the 80GB drive, and run a linux distro on the WD.
/

:P Understandable