PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow down

detour21
February 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Since updating to v10, Ubuntu gradually slows to a crawl. I leave the machine on 24/7 as it is a web server and don't use it for much else. When I do go on after several days everything takes ages to respond, every function, open, close, single/double click, etc. The only way to get back up to speed is restarting. I have run the janitor (no help) and need any suggestions as to what to do to prevent this from happening, I update the system once a week so I think I am current. Help?

Ben Page
February 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Try cleaning your cache and temp folders, old kernels and unneeded packages. Use Ubuntu Tweak for easy and safe cleaning. I would also look at frequency scaling when the machine slows down, it may be stuck on lower CPU frequency after idling for longer periods of time.

hansolo4949
February 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM
How much ram do you have? It sounds like the systems ram is filling up, and it's using it's swap file more frequently, which is a lot slower, since it's on the HDD. Any other thoughts?

tbone7
February 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I have the exact same symptoms. I thought it was related to a memory leak (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1683248), but now I'm not sure any more. Very strange and frustrating.

pi.boy.travis
February 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
You're using a desktop install as a full-time web server? The desktop kernel ist't optimized for that kind of workload. I'm guessing the scheduler is sucking up all your RAM. Install the Server Edition, that kernel is optimized for this kind of workload.

HermanAB
February 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Sigh, so many blue sky suggestions and not a single attempt at finding out what is wrong...

First do this:
$ top

See what is chewing up your resources and kill it. Then try to figure out why it is doing so and find a newer/older version of the culprit that works better.

tbone7
February 26th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not running a server, I just had the symptoms. I have now cleaned the system fan and cleared every bit of dust to test if the problem was heat-related. So far after boot both CPU and GPU is approx. 5 degrees C lower in average. Will let you know if the problems disappear.

relay_man
February 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I agree with HermanAB

"top" is a program that will tell you what processes are running, amount of memory/swap usage and cpu time that is being allocated for those processes, etc.

I prefer a similar utility that is called htop. It is a fantastic tool
that can help you solve many problems.

You can install htop (or top) from terminal or using synaptic package manager.
Whatever you decide, if you are able to resolve your problem, please post again to let others know what you found.