PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Script, crontab and killing the script

Beto
February 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
If I have a script which is run using cron with the command "sh /home/foo/mydir/myscript.sh".

How can I kill it later if I can't tell with "ps" which one of all the scripts running is? I have many "sh"'s in ps....

Regards

yeats
February 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
If I have a script which is run using cron with the command "sh /home/foo/mydir/myscript.sh".

How can I kill it later if I can't tell with "ps" which one of all the scripts running is? I have many "sh"'s in ps....

You could do something like:

ps aux | grep myscript

which would target the relevant process(es)

seawolf167
February 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
You could also use

though I prefer

sudo apt-get install htop

when you run htop, if you hit F3, you can search for running processes, then F9 or 'k' will allow you to kill the process

Beto
February 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM

ps aux | grep myscript

Thanks, "ps aux" was the answer I needed.

Beto
February 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You could also use

though I prefer

sudo apt-get install htop

when you run htop, if you hit F3, you can search for running processes, then F9 or 'k' will allow you to kill the process

top would have been good if a human were killing the script process, but it has to be killed by cron. So I guess is no good this time.

Thanks anyway.

aeiah
February 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM

ps aux | grep myscript

this isnt the best way to do it, because your grep process will also have the name 'myscript' in it, and will show up regardless. you need to then pipe it to 'grep -v grep', which does an inverse search and gets rid of the grep result :D

i have this set up as an alias:

alias alive='ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -i '

so i can just type 'alive mplayer' and it'll show me the mplayer process if it's running (but not the grep mplayer process).

i also use it in a bash script to toggle deluge on and off

#!/bin/sh
icon='/home/satsuma/.icons/Faenza/apps/48/deluge.png'
# Test to see if deluged is running first
if ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -i deluged
then
killall deluged;
echo 'dead'
notify-send -i ${icon} 'Deluge daemon' 'disabled';
exit
else
deluged;
notify-send -i ${icon} 'Deluge daemon' 'enabled';
fi
exit

yeats
February 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
this isnt the best way to do it, because your grep process will also have the name 'myscript' in it, and will show up regardless. you need to then pipe it to 'grep -v grep', which does an inverse search and gets rid of the grep result :D

Ah - good point - wasn't thinking about that. ;-) Another way do exclude grep that I saw recently is to put square brackets around the first letter (in effect creating a "set" of one letter):

ps aux | grep [m]yscript

Beto
February 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I realized that and was already trying to circumvent that problem... thanks again for the answers!