PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Please help me fix my audio?

hey-you
February 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Hello,

I'm starting a new thread because I can't find anyone else with the same problem that I have. It seems that while trying to fix choppy sound in my Virtual Box Windows 7 guest I have messed up my computer. I guess I followed someone's advice that didn't really apply to my situation and now I have no sound at all, and Sound is gone from my Preferences menu.

When I type aplay -l in terminal under 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01) there are no Kernel drivers or kernel modules listed.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.

Can someone please tell me what to do to fix it? I'm not very experienced in this and would appreciate detailed instructions.

Thank you!

oldos2er
February 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
What exactly was the advice you followed? Not easy to advise you without knowing what you did.

corncob
February 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM
What exactly was the advice you followed? Not easy to advise you without knowing what you did.

Is the tutorial at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 of any help?

hey-you
February 26th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I followed this tutorial through the ALSA driver Compilation step which failed. Here is the log.

for i in control postinst postrm ; do \
│ if [ -f debian/$i.orig ]; then \
│ mv -f debian/$i.orig debian/$i ; \
│ fi ; \
│ done
│ rm -f control-munge
│ make mrproper
│ make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
│ rm -f .depend *.o snd.map*
│ rm -f modules/*.o modules/*.ko
│ make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include'
│ rm -f .depend core *.o sndversions.h modules/*.ver modules/*.stamp
│ make -C sound clean
│ make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/sound'
│ rm -f *.h

I had selected the hda-intel for the alsa-source step because the lspci -v command used to show hda-intel although it doesn't now. This is what it says now:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device 01bd
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at efffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

What should I do next?

corncob
February 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Well, I guess it wasn't of any help. It was just a thought since you weren't getting any other advice except for post #2 which you seem to have skipped.

hey-you
February 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, it looked like it might help for a while, but then failed. I don't mean to skip post #2, but I can't find the pages from which I followed the directions, so I just can't answer that one. I guess I will have to install Ubuntu again.

Thanks for the replies.

lkjoel
February 26th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, it looked like it might help for a while, but then failed. I don't mean to skip post #2, but I can't find the pages from which I followed the directions, so I just can't answer that one. I guess I will have to install Ubuntu again.

Thanks for the replies.
Before you re-install, just give this a shot.
Try Fix your sound! in my signature.
Then use Post-Fix your sound! in my signature.
See if it helps.

hey-you
February 27th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Before you re-install, just give this a shot.
Try Fix your sound! in my signature.
Then use Post-Fix your sound! in my signature.
See if it helps.

I followed the instructions in the Fix your sound! link and it worked! Thanks A LOT!

lkjoel
February 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I followed the instructions in the Fix your sound! link and it worked! Thanks A LOT!
No problem! ;)