PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't configure Thunderbird account

diacad
February 25th, 2011, 04:05 AM
A newbie with Ubuntu and Linux, I installed Ubuntu 10.4 on a computer for my wife. We are used to Outlook Express. After using it for a couple of days, my wife hates Evolution. So I downloaded Thunderbird from the standard repository and installed it.

It does look easier (in theory) to move emails between Outlook Express and Thunderbird, so I am trying to configure Thunderbird and will abandon Evolution with its complications, useful to some but unnecessary for us. We just need a simple mail client, no "keyrings" or "calenders" etc etc.

I can't seem to configure Thunderbird accounts. At support.mozillamessaging.com, the instructions for "configuring an account" say to open the account settings by going to Tools|Account Settings. But when I click on Tools, there is no Account Settings on the menu presented. The menu appearing for "Tools" is only as follows:

Address Book
Saved Files
Add-Ons
Activity Manager
Message Filters
(some greyed-out options here regarding filtering)
Import
Error Console

...and that's it. No "Account Settings"!!!!

Am I doing something wrong? Are the instructions at support.mozillamessaging incorrect (I was vectored to them from the Ubuntu installation!) Or is this a bug or damaged Ubuntu/Thunderbird installation?

diacad
February 25th, 2011, 05:25 AM
In my previous message...

"Am I doing something wrong? Are the instructions at support.mozillamessaging incorrect (I was vectored to them from the Ubuntu installation!) Or is this a bug or damaged Ubuntu/Thunderbird installation?"

...fooling around with the installation, I stumbled over the answer. It is the second - instructions at support.mozillamessaging are incorrect. The "Account Settings" button is found under "Edit", of all places. Highly unexpected, since it is in fact under "Tools" in Outlook Express. Wonder why they would put it under "Edit" of all places?

Whoever maintains support.mozillamessaging should take note and change the documentation. I know this does not seem like a big deal to those who already know, but these things waste time and cause anxiety for newbies like yours truly.