PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Searching for packages

towheedm
February 25th, 2011, 12:23 AM
If I don't know the exact name of a package, I can search for it using the search box in Synaptic. Let's say for example, I wanted to install a package named package-1ubuntu5. If I did not know the exact name, I could enter 'package' in the search box and get a list of all packages containing the phrase 'package'.

How can I do this from the command-line if I don't know the exact name of the package? Now, I don't mean entering the package version as in:

apt-get install package=1ubuntu5

But instead list all packages containing the phrase 'package'.

Frogs Hair
February 25th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Open the synaptic package manager and search for the package and mark for installation. I think that may be easier than guessing at package names in the terminal .

If there are many similar packages you will have to find the exact one you need.

towheedm
February 25th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah so I can do that. But, I am trying to learn to do most everything from the CLI.

Krytarik
February 25th, 2011, 01:20 AM
You can use "apt-cache" for that:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man8/apt-cache.8.html

Greetings.

towheedm
February 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Seems to be what I was looking for. Will certainly have a closer look at it. Thanks.

oldos2er
February 25th, 2011, 04:11 AM
apt-cache search <package> or
aptitude search <package> will give you similar output. Once you know the complete package name, use
apt-cache show <package name> to give you full details. The dpkg command has tons of options for manipulating packages too. Also, it's worthwhile in my opinion to learn aptitude as a stand alone package manager.

towheedm
February 25th, 2011, 04:27 AM
The dpkg command has tons of options for manipulating packages too. Also, it's worthwhile in my opinion to learn aptitude as a stand alone package manager.

I've looked at apt-cache and it does what I wanted. I've never used the Aptitude package manager as I've become familiar with apt-get and dpkg. So apt-cache will work quite well for me. Just need to figure out how to pipe apt-cache search regex into apt-get install.