PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install on hard drive

LadyA
February 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I have a computer with a hard drive that has windows on it. Can I delete the windows partitions and take the hard drive out and put it in another computer, with no hard drive, so I can install Ubuntu on it? Will this computer recognize the hard drive without an operating system?

TeoBigusGeekus
February 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I have a computer with a hard drive that has windows on it. Can I delete the windows partitions and take the hard drive out and put it in another computer, with no hard drive, so I can install Ubuntu on it? Will this computer recognize the hard drive without an operating system?

Of course it will. Go ahead.
You don't even have to delete the win partitions, ubuntu's installer (partitioning section) will take care of it.

hansolo4949
February 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I do not see why you would want to take it out and install it in another computer to install Ubuntu on it, since you can change the boot order in the bios menu to set the cd drive as the primary boot device and boot from it.:) but to answer your questions, yes, the HDD would be recognized in the other computer, and you can swap one HDD between the two if you want. You also do not have to remove windows from the HDD to use Ubuntu, you can dual boot them just fine, if you have enough space.

JRV
February 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM

1) Yes, when you get to the part where it asks about partitioning choose to use the entire disk.
This will delete the partitions for you.

2) Yes, the hard drive should be recognized in the BIOS before it tries to boot. Boot the CD and the installer will see an empty hard drive.

Why do you need to remove the drive?
Why can't you just install Ubuntu with the drive in the computer it's already in?

LadyA
March 1st, 2011, 05:48 AM
Thankyou for the information. It's my son's computer and he wants to get rid of it, so I wanted to use the hard drive in one of my computers.