PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Suggestions for a begginer?

MourningsEnd
February 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Well I switched from Windows XP to Xubuntu 10.10 not too long ago.

What would you suggest that are some essential packages and programs needed? Also, where can I learn more about Xubuntu and the Xfce desktop evniornment? How it works in general, how to do what, just the basics you need to know about Linux and Xubuntu.

On a side note..I want to make a Linux OS for my Senior year for Computer Engineering; where could I even begin to understand how Linux works and go about making my own personal OS?

L Campbell
February 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Well I switched from Windows XP to Xubuntu 10.10 not too long ago.

What would you suggest that are some essential packages and programs needed? Also, where can I learn more about Xubuntu and the Xfce desktop evniornment? How it works in general, how to do what, just the basics you need to know about Linux and Xubuntu.

On a side note..I want to make a Linux OS for my Senior year for Computer Engineering; where could I even begin to understand how Linux works and go about making my own personal OS?

Hi, and WELCOME.

If you type this into Google, you will get a LOT of ideas and suggestions.

"things to do after installing xubuntu"

Paqman
February 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
What would you suggest that are some essential packages and programs needed?

That really depends on what you want to do with it. Can you help us out a little by being more specific?

oldos2er
February 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.xubuntu.org/

http://www.xfce.org/

josephmills
February 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Ok with this there are a couple of things to take into account. How much time do you have? Do you want to start from scratch? Or is something like nimbleX 2 your thing? how many people if any are working with you with this? what is your skill level of c, c++ , pyton ect.
what kind of distro do you want to make? I could go on for hours but I won't. anwser these questions and I will know more from here. By the way its a great idea !

frotzed
February 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM
What would you suggest that are some essential packages and programs needed?

This is a pretty general question. But there are probably a few things I'd do for any *buntu install regardless of the intended use.

Restricted extras:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I'd install Gimp and VLC because these two programs are always handy:

sudo apt-get install gimp vlc

Other than those three things, the rest of the applications will vary based on what you're going to be doing with the PC.

MourningsEnd
February 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I know nothing at all.

But, next year I'm taking Computer Programming classes along with Computer Engineering and E Comerse (I think it is called that). I will be the only one working on it, maybe one other person. Probably build off of something? Not sure.

Paqman
February 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I know nothing at all.

But, next year I'm taking Computer Programming classes along with Computer Engineering and E Comerse (I think it is called that). I will be the only one working on it, maybe one other person. Probably build off of something? Not sure.

Do you know what languages you'll be using? You could start by trying out some of the different IDEs.

MourningsEnd
February 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I do not sir, perhaps you could tell me?

Paqman
February 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I do not sir, perhaps you could tell me?

Do you not have some information about your courses? Does whatever institution you're studying through have a website, or can you visit in person?