PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu wont load gui after login

Velenjak
February 24th, 2011, 07:49 AM
problem solved - thanks for help!!!

so im using an old dell dimension 8400...

ubuntu 9.10

i was backing up my files earlier today when my computer crashed (too much use - whenever i give it too much stress it just crashes)

it kept saying that it couldnt mount the drive. after much fighting i ran fsck (or something like that) and it fixed the problem.

so i logged back in, and tried to backup files again.... bad mistake. it crashed - i cant transfer too many files at once i guess .... (it was only a couple GBs - is this an indication that some of my hardware is starting to die?)

now it boots fine, but when i login it sits on the default screen. my desktop does not load

i ran thru the command prompt and updated all files - i also ran the command to check for new graphics drivers. still doesnt work.

any ideas? i really need help... i have to email my professor with an assignment before i go to sleep... id love to be able to login and send it

thanks in advance.

darknomel
February 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Can you get to the text login? Then you should be able to log in and copy the files to a USB stick and email it from a working PC?

zenwalker
February 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Did you try re-installing your desktop environemnt packages if in case if its corrupted. But i guess some thing else is problem, may be as you said ur home dir is corrupted.

ankit singh
February 24th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Try resetting your gnome settings
Hit ctrl+alt+f1 and login or alt+f2

and type this

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

after that logout or reboot

Velenjak
February 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Can you get to the text login? Then you should be able to log in and copy the files to a USB stick and email it from a working PC?

i have very little experience with the command line - i wouldn't even know where to begin....

zenwalker
February 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
When you get your login screen, just press Ctrl + Alt + F<1-7> keys to get ttys also called terminals. There you can login and get the files off to your USB

darknomel
February 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM

and type this

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacityafter that logout or reboot

Try this first, if that doesn't work, we can help you to copy the files using the command line :)

Velenjak
February 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
When you get your login screen, just press Ctrl + Alt + F<1-7> keys to get ttys also called terminals. There you can login and get the files off to your USB

i was able to login, but im at a dead end here... i remember where the file is location - but i cant get past the home/[myusername]/

i tried home/[username]/documents etc. etc. but i cant get past this initial tier... what else am i missing?

Velenjak
February 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM

and type this

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

after that logout or reboot

nevermind previous post

this worked!!!!!!!! thank you very much