PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] grub rescue

purplequark
February 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Yes, I know, there are a thousand threads about 'grub rescue' and I swear I've searched them all. Still stuck.

Had issues with ubuntu, issue was fixed but I ended up with three copies of Ubuntu on separate partitions on my machine. I should have just left it alone but I didn't, I apparently deleted the partition that Grub was installed on while I was 'cleaning'.

Now I boot my machine and get the error 'no such partition', then 'grub rescue>'
ls shows that my data is still there, (hd0,1) but I'm stuck. Can't find the command to get this freaking machine to load my stuff :(

I cannot boot from my live cd now, boot option set to boot from cd but it goes to the grub rescue prompt instead. I can load from my windows cd but I don't have windows installed... Tried to set boot to load from cd only (disabled hd) and it gives me a disk error .

Right now, it looks like my only option is to completely format my machine and reinstall windows.... thought I'd try you guys first, just in case...

Gixxy
February 24th, 2011, 04:38 AM
What version of grub?

jeremyjjbrown
February 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Yes, I know, there are a thousand threads about 'grub rescue' and I swear I've searched them all. Still stuck.

Had issues with ubuntu, issue was fixed but I ended up with three copies of Ubuntu on separate partitions on my machine. I should have just left it alone but I didn't, I apparently deleted the partition that Grub was installed on while I was 'cleaning'.

Now I boot my machine and get the error 'no such partition', then 'grub rescue>'
ls shows that my data is still there, (hd0,1) but I'm stuck. Can't find the command to get this freaking machine to load my stuff :(

I cannot boot from my live cd now, boot option set to boot from cd but it goes to the grub rescue prompt instead. I can load from my windows cd but I don't have windows installed... Tried to set boot to load from cd only (disabled hd) and it gives me a disk error .

Right now, it looks like my only option is to completely format my machine and reinstall windows.... thought I'd try you guys first, just in case...

Have you tried a different live cd?

purplequark
February 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM
yes, I tried a new live cd. It's grub2