View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Specs for building a HTPC

February 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
I would like to build a HTPC and I was wondering if anybody could provide some specs.
* I would like to record programs automatically from my FIOS box (not sure how to interface to it) and from the internet
* I would like to play recorded stuff in my flat screen TV
* I can spend ... I would say no more than 800 dollars
* Easy interface (probably via remote control and a wireless keyboard)
* HD quality a must
* An HTPC case (not a regular computer case)

Any help greatly appreciated

February 23rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
So many ways to go! I recently built what one could call a HTPC using the Lian Li PC-Q11 box, a small little piece I have sitting on my desk. The whole affair cost about $800.

It uses a mini-iTX MB and there are several makers of such. I use the Intel built-in graphic processor for HD movies without issue. It's small and quiet, my main concerns. After much digging around I did what I did. The key to that small box is the 450W power supply from SilverStone, SST-ST45SF. Using a normal ATX power supply makes the PC-Q11 box a nightmare to work within.

Any questions?

February 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for sharing. The case you mention is a mini tower case, so I guess it does not fit my requirements. I guess to focus the specs maybe is better to have an initial spec point, I found the following web site http://mymediaexperience.com/guide-to-build-optimal-htpc-in-2010/

In short they recommend
- Case : Antec Fusion Remote Black HTPC Case
- Motherboard: Asus P7H55 Intel H55 LGA1156 microATX motherboard
- Power Supply: Corsair cx400w ATX power.
- CPU: Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz LGA1156 processor
- Memory: Kingston valueram 4GB (2x2Gt) 1333MHz DDR3, CL9
- Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5″ 8.9ms SATA2 7200RPM 32MB
- Blue ray: Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Blu-Ray Combo 8X Black Sata Retail

Now I did some digging and there are complaints about the case and I did not see a tuner TV card(??)
Also I still do not see how this would talk to my cable (FIOS) box or what is the interface to the HDTV
Any comments greatly appreciated

February 23rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Well, Antec includes a remote control that takes care of setting the cable box. I assume the cable box controls the TV. The HDMI of the computer goes to the TV. Most modern flat-screen TVs handle the HDMI connection from computers. I'm not sure if the FIOS box you mention is the same as a Comcast cable box?

This box is much bigger than what I was looking for. But it might be what you are needing.

February 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
well...the FIOS box I mention is what Verizon offers as an alternative to cable, as I understand is Fiber Optic and presumably faster than cable but at the end of the day is just a coaxial into a box and from there to the TV. When you say the HDMI form the computer...which component from the list above has this output? and is there a way to check that all this hardware is compatible with Ubuntu? ( I mean are there drives?)
Finally the tv tunners card seem to take coaxial...not hdmi...so I am a bit confused
I know is a lot of questions... thanks in advance

February 24th, 2011, 01:13 AM
The H55 MB has the HDMI connector at the back of the board. A cable will run from there to the TV's backside.

A TV tuner takes in the channel and then the output will go to your TV set, or just to your computer monitor.

That FIOS box will likely be just like a Comcast setup box. You have to check to see if the remote control from the Antec case can handle FIOS.

I wish I had more direct experience with what you wish to do. Maybe someone else can fill-in any blanks.

February 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
You could probably save some cash by using AMD instead of intel.

I'd get an nVidia card for VDPAU as well, no matter if you go AMD or intel. Probably a GT430.

February 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM
...so what would be the AMD equivalent of the
Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz LGA1156 processor

February 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Depends on what you mean by "AMD equivalent"