PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Check if there is any window fullscreened

Neosano
February 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have following configuration: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7065/desktop1004.png

as you can see, I have two monitors, and my panels are located on the right monitor. Left monitor is a little bit smaller than the right one, so I prefer watching films on the right one. But if there's a video fullscreened on the right monitor I can't use my computer because all icons are located on the right monitor. I'd like to move panels to the left monitor(it's easy),
but how can I detect that there's a window fullscreened on it?

Frogs Hair
February 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm using Ubuntu and the short cut key for full screen is F11 By using the shortcut to move back and forth the difference is easily seen.

Not having used dual monitors , I don't know if using such a shortcut would cause both screens to change.

Neosano
February 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Uh, I can go back from fullscreen, click what I need, and then fullscreen it again.

I have another problem..
here's another screenshot explaining my problem
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6764/screenshotzt.png

Frogs Hair
February 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
I use movie player , that is the default in Ubuntu 10.10 and it has full screen on or off check mark on the edit tab , but again the shortcut is F11.

Neosano
February 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I use movie player , that is the default in Ubuntu 10.10 and it has full screen on or off check mark on the edit tab , but again the shortcut is F11.
I WANT TO USE FULLSCREEN!!!
I just want my panels to move to another screen.

Frogs Hair
February 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Sorry if I misunderstood . The panels are made to appear on all screens as part of the work space switching function . I use a dock and that also appears on all work spaces . It is not possible to delete the panel on another workspace with the default set up. I'm guessing this is true for another monitor.

I'm not saying what you want to do is impossible , but it would require some script writing skills and understanding of how the panels work on each workspace. Many people use TV screens with computer , so there may be something gained by learning how that is done.

I think watching movies was not considered when workspace switching was developed , but I could be wrong.

Frogs Hair
February 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I also looked into Compiz settings , but what I found indicated that Compiz is not user friendly on Lubuntu . You could explore this further because I'm not aware of a Compiz setting the would produce the desired result .

Neosano
February 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I already wrote a script for moving panels, but WHEN should it be executed?
I can make a shortcut for it, but I want it to be executed right when some window got in fullscreen mode.

gobbledigook
February 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
before you get all scripted up ;) you may want to check the video settings? you can define which monitor is your main monitor (ie with the panel on it) and which is secondary... ie set the left as primary and right as secondary...

sorry i can't give more detail... at work so no reference

Neosano
February 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
... are you kidding, guys?

Everything works correctly. Panels are placed on the right monitor, video can be played anywhere I want. Just forget about panels and other stuff.....
There's a command line tool called xwininfo, it can tell a lot of useless information, but it doesn't tell if window is fullscreen...
wmctrl doesn't really help too.
maybe it's possible to catch window manager event?