View Full Version : [all variants] Intel GMA3150 Fiasco

February 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
I have been struggling with trying to get 3D graphics (full featured 3D game graphics, not just compiz-fusion type of 3D graphics) working on my new HP Mini 5102 but I have come to the realisation that Intel do not support their GMA3150 integrated graphics chip with full featured Linux drivers. Here is the conversation that I had with an Intel support person to verify my concern:

Aldy: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
Vangelis: Hi Aldy, I have a HP 5102 Netbook with an Atom N450 processor with the integrated GMA3150 graphics processor. I have checked online (youtube) and see that this supports 3D graphics games under Windows. I have installed Linux but have not been able to get any 3D games working on it (I get < 1fps). Does Intel support Linux drivers for the GMA3150 graphics chipset with the full range of 3D graphics capabilities of that chipset?
Aldy: I have not heard from you for the last 3 minutes. Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?
Vangelis: please read
Aldy: Well, some features of GMA 3150 might not work in Linux since it is not fully validate. We do not have available drivers for it.
Aldy: By the way, the laptop manufacturer is still the best source of support. You can check with them your inquiry.
Vangelis: ok so if i understand your answer correctly, intel do not support linux or provide full feature support drivers for linux for the GMA3150.
Vangelis: is that correct?
Vangelis: the laptop manufacturer will not support me for linux
Aldy: Yes, that is correct.
Vangelis: ok, i now know not to buy any processors with intel integrated graphics in the future.
Vangelis: thank-you for your help
Aldy: Okay then, thank you, Vangelis.
Aldy: Thank you for chatting to Intel Customer Support. Have a nice day!

I also left the following feedback:

If NVIDIA and ATI can provide full featured Linux drivers for their graphics cards, then you can for your Intel integrated graphics products (eg GMA3150). Until you do so, I will not be buying your products in future. I have made a grave mistake by doing so already.

I think we should apply pressure on Intel to treat Linux users with a little more respect by providing us with fully supported drivers for their integrated graphics. I urge as many users here that are affected by their current poor support to get onto their live chat, voice our concerns and provide them similar feedback to the above. You can do so at: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=processor

The more of us that make a noise, the more likely Intel will listen and provide decent drivers for the Linux community.

February 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Venu Gopal: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
Venu Gopal: Hello StaRetji.
StaRetji: Hello Venu
StaRetji: I have a question regarding Intel GMA 3150 Linux support
Venu Gopal: How may I assist you today ?
StaRetji: I mean, performance is really poor.
StaRetji: specially while watching Youtube videos
StaRetji: Nvidia ION no problems at all
StaRetji: so, do Intel provide Intel drivers which can give video performance similar to Windows OS?
Venu Gopal: I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Venu Gopal: I'd be happy to help you with that.
StaRetji: That is great news
StaRetji: I have installed ubuntu and drivers are loaded by default, performance is really bad, specially 3D
Venu Gopal: I understand that you wish have the drivers for the Intel GMA 3150 for the Linux operating system.
StaRetji: exactly
Venu Gopal: Is that correct ?
StaRetji: And when I say drivers, I need driver which will make the graphic chip work properly
StaRetji: Linux drivers provided by the community are not giving expected performance
StaRetji: And I'm not asking much, just to be able to watch videos without stuttering, tearing, vertical lines, slow motion etc

Venu Gopal: I am sorry to inform that the this graphics this graphics card will not support Linux operating system.

Venu Gopal: Please refer the below web link .
Venu Gopal: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/gma3150?wapkw=(Intel+GMA+3150)
StaRetji: But why?
StaRetji: I mean, what could be the reason for such a thing
StaRetji: This graphic chip is present in most new netbooks
StaRetji: so, anywhere you go and buy netbook with intel gma, you are left without support for Linux
StaRetji: I'm really disappointed and will never by computer with Intel graphic chip in my life.
StaRetji: Thank you for your assistance.

Venu Gopal: I would like to inform you that atom netbooks are designed for the the Wiindows Xp, Vista, and Wiindows-7 Operating system.

StaRetji: Well, I'm informed, thank you.

Venu Gopal: So I would request you to us the suggested Operating system in the web link.

Venu Gopal: Apart from this, is there anything else I may assist you with ?
StaRetji: No, thank you.
Venu Gopal: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close'' to close the chat window. Have a nice day.
Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.

So, folks, if you have spare minutes of your life, help your self lol

February 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
and why didnt' you infrom them that first netbooks the EEE pc used Linux? and if i buy a netbook that HAS to have windows sysem on will they pay for it? And also if majority (if not all) netbooks use Atom processor and windows system is required isn't that abusing the monopoly position? i mean since it give the consumer no choice (appart from not buying a netbook)?

I actually don't udnerstand what happened with these netbooks. they came out and i was hoping well at least some cheap portable device one could use to surf and write emails. but now all netbooks have large disks 1 GB ram (at least) are loaded with resource hungry win7...

i mean what happened wiht the idea of having like 20 GB SSD drive (or even normal SATA drive), 512 GB, simple graphic card and Linux system so it could all cost about 150 EUR? here netbooks cost form 280 to 450 or even 500 EUR. WTF?! i can get a normal notebook for that money why would i buy this small device with crappy porcesor?

i remember when they were saying ASUS with their first EEE PC became direct competition to 100% notebook. well now they are not anymore and i doubt many the number of people buying netbooks is still on the rise. i could be wrong.

now overpriced tablets took the lead in overcharging...

July 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I will call them as well. Now it's Saturday and none of their chat persons available. But for now, I must tell you that with GMA3150 integrated in n570 CPU and on Asus EeePC 1015PX, I'm able to watch youtube videos, but the problem for me is that:
Dynamic Render Clock is disabled by default and I can not enable it.
So the clock frequency of GPU is always maximum and this causes 70C temperature of GPU and makes my laptop unbearably hot.
Searching allover the internet for a solution and still nothing.

August 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'm saddled with the same issue.

Acer AO-532h-2964
Intel GMA3150, Atom n450..

The only difference in my case is that nothing 3d will render, despite latest drivers.

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

August 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm planning to buy netbook with this graphic card with linux (and planning to go for linux only on it) and I'd like to know if this issue is resolvable.

At intel website I've been able to found that drivers from intel has to be also for GMA3150:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3235&DwnldID=13815&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Netbook+and+Tablet+Graphics&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelera tor+3150+%28Intel%C2%AE+GMA+3150%29&DownloadType=Drivers&OSFullname=Linux*eng

Latest release:

This release has been validated on following hardware: ... GMA 3150 (Atom N450), ....

Have someone tried this already? Does it resolve at least overheating problem?

August 31st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Considering that Ubuntu 11.10 already has the 3.0 kernel, it should support the 3150 without any extra effort. The xorg-edgers PPA will probably give you better 3D and video playback since it will have mesa 7.12 and libva 1.0.14.