PDA

View Full Version : [other] New Build

theone964
February 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hey, I just ordered the parts to make my first ever Desktop/HTPC. I wasn't too bothered about putting all the parts together and installing Ubuntu 10.04 on it, but after reading tons and tons of reviews on products, I came to a realization that i have never Diagnosed any of my computer parts ever.

Since i'll have a 30 day return policy i wanted to thoroughly test the system to make sure that the main components (CPU, Mobo, and RAM) I bought were 100% fine.

I know how to run Memtest cause i ran it once accidentally, but have no idea how to test the CPU and Mobo for defects. Also how do i get Memtest to show up on the boot menu? Last time i saw it i was dual booting so it had a small delay for me to pick what i wanted to do, now with only Ubuntu 10.04 on it, it just loads straight to the OS.

Any help on how to run the Diagnostics on the CPU and Motherboard would be greatly appreciated.

cascade9
February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
apart from some very specalised and pretty expensive software, the only way to test if the motherboard is working right is to use it.

Its probably best to give it a stress trst- some people swear by some of the 'burn in' software you can get. I'd used them a few times, but it doesnt seem to be any more reliable (or put the CPU/chipset under any more stress) than to just trash the machine as hard as you can for 12-24hrs or so.

Just rip a few DVDs, while you are d/ling a torrent or 5, and playing videos. ;)

theone964
February 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
i kept reading about BSOD and people testing everything in their systems to finally narrowing it down to the motherboard...so i gathered from that that the memory and cpu can be tested

Joe of loath
February 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
The only real way to find a fault in the motherboard is a process of elimination. If the memory is fine, and the CPU is fine, and there are no peripherals left to unplug/replace, it must be the motherboard.

theone964
February 22nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
The only real way to find a fault in the motherboard is a process of elimination. If the memory is fine, and the CPU is fine, and there are no peripherals left to unplug/replace, it must be the motherboard.

Thanks, i understood that part now but what is there a method of testing the CPU besides a stress test casade9 mentioned. And do you happen to know how to get the Memtest to show up on a single OS boot up

Joe of loath
February 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hold down shift as you boot and you'll see the grub menu.

theone964
February 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Hold down shift as you boot and you'll see the grub menu.

AWESOME thanks a million man...i've been meaning to scan my laptop memory so i'll give it a shot.

Another thing when your shutting down how do you pause the screen...i keep getting a fail in red letters on one of the checks...i hit pause but it only pauses the screen for a second (no where near enough for me to read what it's failing)